Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

disappointed

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM
  • 35 Replies

I realized yesterday that no one really asked me about the birth after either of my babies have been born. I've been so excited to talk about it each time but no one (except my oohb friends) is interested in hearing about it. Once they learn the birth stats and the news that everyone is doing well, they just ask dumb questions about whether the baby has strong lungs (i.e. does he cry loudly...who cares??) and if he's a "good" baby or sleeping through the night etc. and most discussion about the birth is met with awkwardness and disinterest.

I've had a few questions this time since we were at home but mainly just responses of "wow" and "that's interesting" or "you're so brave" and so on.

Has this happened to anyone else?

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debmom07
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM
So how did it go. Share.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM
I've never once been asked about my births, just specifics of the baby.

I thought you'd shared your story here, but maybe I'm remembering incorrectly?

I'm sure everyone here is very interested in your story since you birth at home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Nobody ever asked me about my birth just about the baby. There are many natural groups on fb have you thought about sharing there? I'm sure it would be helpful to many moms. 

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM
3 moms liked this

I did, and really appreciated being able to share it. I just wish people I know IRL who are important to me would be more interested since it was an important event for me.

Quoting larissalarie:

I've never once been asked about my births, just specifics of the baby.

I thought you'd shared your story here, but maybe I'm remembering incorrectly?

I'm sure everyone here is very interested in your story since you birth at home.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I've found people are interested in the birth while I'm pregnant, couldn't give a rat's ass after the fact. They just want to know about the baby. It bothered me a little at first, but I eventually realized that birth really is intimate, and it's a huge part of my own world, but no one else lives in my world. Only birthy type people tend to be interested in birth details.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaylyndenae
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM

maybe i'm a little weird, but i shared my birth stories on my blog. i wrote them while i was still in the hospital so i wouldnt forgot any details i wanted to include. people can read it or skip it..but i just wanted a chance to document it and i use my blog as a sort of scrapbook of my life.

JMmama
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this
People usually ask me, "how was the birth" and I am pretty sure they are expecting, "great!" Or some other one word answer. What they get is the entire story, whether they wanted it or not, lol. I just sort of start talking.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:21 PM

People IRL haven't asked me about my recent birth,either.  They knew I had a terrible experience with the c-section of my first, so I guess they were hesitant about asking for details of my VBAC.

Have you posted about your birth in any of the CM groups?  I'd love to read about how it went!

tansyflower
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:37 PM

i had people in my family ask, but we are a big homebirthing family so that was pretty typical.  as for my friends almost no one asked. 

its funny because my husband and i were just talking about our youngest son's birth and how fast and easy it had been and by the end we were laughing and gave each other a big hug and a kiss.  it doesnt really matter to me how other people react to my births, i am just glad my husband enjoyed the experience as much as i did :)

srm8824
by Sam on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Nobody asked me about my birth after he was born.

A lot of people piped up when I was pregnant about how I could never have a natural birth, etc. but after he was born nobody seemed to care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN