Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I realized yesterday that no one really asked me about the birth after either of my babies have been born. I've been so excited to talk about it each time but no one (except my oohb friends) is interested in hearing about it. Once they learn the birth stats and the news that everyone is doing well, they just ask dumb questions about whether the baby has strong lungs (i.e. does he cry loudly...who cares??) and if he's a "good" baby or sleeping through the night etc. and most discussion about the birth is met with awkwardness and disinterest.

I've had a few questions this time since we were at home but mainly just responses of "wow" and "that's interesting" or "you're so brave" and so on.

Has this happened to anyone else?

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Replies (31-35):
haleykj
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Yeah whenever someone else is preggo or just had a baby I ask a million questions about everything but most people think I'm the weirdo. I guess only weirdos like to talk about birth. But I know what u mean. Maybe u should just cram it down their throats anyway lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

That's what I've been noticing. Women just don't want to re-live their experience. It's sad. I think about my birth all the time.

Quoting littlelambe2:

I think childbirth is such a traumatic and/or powerless event for so many women, that they try to sidestep conversations about it. It's sad. I always ask how people's labors went. Most of the time, the woman rolls their eyes and says how horrible it was. The odd time, I find a natural birthing momma who really wants to share! 

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

The "was that planned??" question is my favorite lol. Almost everyone asked us that. They get even more shocked when they find out I caught the baby.

Quoting peaches_04:

Lol i get the your brave comments too or my favorite "on purpose?" comments after they find it was a hb

rjmac88
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:10 AM
It's our horrible horrible "mom is chopped liver after the baby is out" culture. It's ridiculous!

I am such a huge birth junkie I offer the info up! My friends who deliver we are all eager to hear the story of the birth. What happened. How she felt. What she thought. Etc I know with my first no one asked. But I was very verbal about how it was screwed up and wrong (drugggggggggged hospital induction). My other two idk if people asked but I definitely have told everyone
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
H.I.S.
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I always ask for labor and delivery details! Sorry momma :(

Lilypie - (VOWJ)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)