Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

healthy and cheap

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM
  • 11 Replies
Ok, im drawing a blank. I dont have anything ti make for dinner. We are on a very tight budget, i am having issues cooking meats, dh is a meat lover too. So im trying to thinknof healthy, cheap meals that i can tolerate to make. Anyone have ideas?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Stir Fry or fried rice? It doesn't take much meat so you could pick it out of your dish.

JMmama
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM
I make spaghetti squash a lot. I just steam it in the microwave, scoop it out and add some lemon, butter and Parmesan. If you find a deal on chicken breast, I mix that in there sometimes too.
Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Put meat in the slow cooker with carrots, potatoes, and other veggies, and a little broth? You could cook it in another room and not have to deal with the smell.

JMmama
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Baked potatoes? Usually a bag is cheap and everyone could add what they like.
MamaPrime
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM

On a budget I usually do "dirty rice" ground meat, browned in a pan with misc spices, add a veggie of choosing (or availability) to some rice with broth and red pepper. It's an all in one meal. When it's too spicy or I feel fancy I throw some greek yogurt or natural sour cream in it to make it a little creamy. 

Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Put meat in the slow cooker with carrots, potatoes, and other veggies, and a little broth? You could cook it in another room and not have to deal with the smell.

I wish! I dd make soup and was fie with a little meat in the soup on the crockpot. We live in a very very teeny house, so it not avoidable!

Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM

thansk for the ideas mamas! very helpful!

Amycapl
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:41 PM
3 moms liked this

Rice and beans are the cheapest things in the grocery store.. cut up some fresh veggies and you've got yourself a meal, sister :)

CafeMom Tickers
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Steam chicken thighs w veggies. Cook rice on the side- add cilantro, sautéed red onion and a bit of lemon juice to the rice (it's soo good).

Sloppy joes, tacos, etc are quick and easy. Beans can be subbed in tacos if you don't want meat.
catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Great suggestions above. Also.. let him grill the meat, while you cook the sides. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN