Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

cloth diaper help!

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:25 PM
  • 10 Replies
ds has a really crazy looking rash on his inner thighs & above me winky. (we have a dr appt tomo to look at it) but I think it's irritation from his diapees soo I want to switch to cloth diapers. we had gotten gerber brand but I was using them as spit up rags so I didn't keep the packaging. now I have no idea how to fold them or anything! I've tried googling but everything I find just tells me how to wash them & what not. nothing about how to put them on or keep them pinned (do you pin them?) idk someone please help haha I'm so lost
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

They aren't going to be very absorbent. When I use prefolds I tri fold them in a cover. You can get pins or snappis. You can YouTube folds. If you don't have a cover they won't be waterproof. It would be fine around the house but if he wets it will go through his clothes without a cover. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like the yeast rash my son had ad cloth diapers helped get rid of that! Gerber prefolds SUCK lol, tried using them myself at first. They either have to be pinned or use a snappi(google it). YOu would need covers too. What you have are prefolds..look up how to fold prefold diapers.
greentealover18
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM
I read that you have to wash them like 6-10 times to make them more absorbent.. where can I get covers?

Quoting JoJoBean8:

They aren't going to be very absorbent. When I use prefolds I tri fold them in a cover. You can get pins or snappis. You can YouTube folds. If you don't have a cover they won't be waterproof. It would be fine around the house but if he wets it will go through his clothes without a cover. 

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Cuties With Cloth Booties group has a good sticky FAQ! Also www.cottonbabies.com, greenmountaindiapers.com. Good luck!
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:07 PM

It doesn't matter how often you wash them they just aren't good quality. I buy my prefold and covers from cotton babies. I use Indian prefolds.

Quoting greentealover18:

I read that you have to wash them like 6-10 times to make them more absorbent.. where can I get covers?

Quoting JoJoBean8:

greentealover18
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:16 PM
okie dokie!
how many diapers & covers should I have? ds is 3 weeks old. i would like to switch to cloth diapees full time. I don't mind doing laundry daily.. I don't have much else to do all day lol

Quoting JoJoBean8:

It doesn't matter how often you wash them they just aren't good quality. I buy my prefold and covers from cotton babies. I use Indian prefolds.

Quoting greentealover18:

Quoting JoJoBean8:

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
The Gerber ones are OK if your trifolding with 2 layers, and changing often. I've been there, done that. Those and flats are my go to when I'm hand washing. Lol. I, then bought the econobum starter pack off of cottonbabies.com and used their covers. I pinned for a few months but I'm a die hard snappi fan now. I still keep my pins, just in case. ;)
I also buy from a lot of WAHMs and Alva coops on Facebook. Stacey's AlvaBaby Coop is my go to for cheap pockets and inserts. I would stay away from microfiber inserts.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:39 PM

When ds was a newborn I had about 3 dozen prefolds and 6 covers. It worked out well for laundry. I did laundry every other day. 

Quoting greentealover18:

okie dokie!
how many diapers & covers should I have? ds is 3 weeks old. i would like to switch to cloth diapees full time. I don't mind doing laundry daily.. I don't have much else to do all day lol

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Quoting greentealover18:

Quoting JoJoBean8:

xxMommaof_2
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:12 AM

I used prefolds when my kids were newborns, but I got mine from greenmountaindiapers.com. I really liked them! They sell organic, unbleached ones, which were the ones i got and they have snappis, which you will need to keep them snug under a cover!  (I loved Thirsties covers!) Good luck!

Interested in an all natural, botanical skin care, cosmetic and nutrition line. We also carry all natural, botanical baby care with proven results! We have weight loss products, proven stretch mark cream, detox cleanse, and much more, all natural and green! 

Come visit me at http://chakra.myarbonne.com

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Lots of info on http://www.cottonbabies.com/!  

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)