Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Measuring Small.. more protein?

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM
  • 21 Replies
So i had an appointment with my Midwife today. I am 30 weeks and 3 days along. I'm measuring Fundally at 27.5 and not 30. Which on the "curve" they have is on the low end of "ok" she said that it's not too much of an issue right now unless i keep falling off the curve. She kept asking if I'm eating enough protein during the day. I think i am.. but I'm wondering if I'm actually not eating enough? I eat meat and consume dairy products daily.. but I'm always hungry. What other ways can i add protein? also.. it took both my midwife and her practicum student midwife over 10 minutes to find the baby's heartbeat, when they did find it, it was in the normal range (150 bpm) although it did scare me that they couldn't find it.. even though i knew baby was alive because it was kicking me. baby is bum down and has been for the last month (that i know of) This isn't a bad thing really right now since baby still has time to turn.. but I'm really uncomfortable... any ideas on how to get baby to turn, or at least get baby in a different position then it's HEAD under my ribs?

Candice - Mom to  Miss K, Miss E and Little Mr. M! We are Canadian!

Working on baby #4!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Could be just a smaller baby or how the baby is lying at this moment.  I always measured behind in the 3rd trimester.  My kids were born full term at 5lbs 9 oz and 6lbs 12 oz. 

littlelambe2
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Fundal height varies with fluid and baby's position. Both my babies started measuring smaller around 34-36 weeks. By the time I was 40 weeks, I was measuring 37 each time. My babies were both born past edd. First was 9 days past weighing 6-1, second was 10 days past weighing 8-1. I would think that both the fundal height and difficult to find heartbeat would be because of how baby is laying. 

littlelambe2
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Check out spinningbabies.com

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

When I needed up up my protein pumpkin seeds were great, protein powder, and protein bars.

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I tend to measure small too.  My last pregnancy my midwife did 2 measurements.  The normal and then all the way around.  The normal way always measured small but around showed a consistent gain in size.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Those measurements are pretty meaningless when they're "off" by quite a bit one way or the other. My sister measured so big so early, they kept checking for twins. That baby weighed 5 pounds at birth.

I'm the complete opposite, I measure smaller than what I "should" but my kids have been ginormous, 7/1, 9/2, & 9/12.
Me measuring small obviously didn't mean small babies, and my sister measuring 6 weeks ahead didn't mean a big baby.

Snack on nuts and eat beans to get more protein.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I wouldn't worry to much. I tend to measure big and I had 2 babies under 8lbs.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM

By consuming more protein, you are creating lean muscle mass in your baby.  Generally a high protein diet is encouraged to stave off large babies (and to help stave off symptoms of pre-eclampsia).  I'm curious why they would urge you to eat more protein since your baby is measuring SMALL.  ??

If you eat 1/2 gram of protein for every pound you weigh, this is more than enough.  (So a 200 pound woman would eat 100 grams of protein daily).  Don't forget to look into beans for a great source of protein:  chili, hummus, etc.

Brandy85412
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this
greek yogurt has lots of protein. my midwife told me the same thing. I always
gain weight in my third trimester. Don't worry to much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyIslandGirls
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Well My midwife was worried that i wasn't eatting enough and that was causing a small size.

I'm pretty good about eatting. I had a Pancake this morning with fresh strawberries and 100% pure Maple syrup on it.. and a fried egg for breakfast.

I had Chicken last night with veggies and then had 1/2 cup of cottage cheese as well.

Apparently this baby is stubborn and didn't want to be poked and proded with yesterday while at the midwives. lol

the weight gain... I started out at 117 lbs... I'm now 128 lbs.. that's an 11 lb gain. I don't seem to really gain until the 3rd tri anyways. and I'm looking at about 4 lbs a month gain (so 1 lbs a week roughly)

I've never hit my due dates yet. I have 3 children. the first was born at 36w6d and was 6 lbs 5 oz My second was born at 36w3d and was 6 lbs 6 oz and my third was born at 39w5d and was 7 lbs 15 oz.   So i don't make "HUGE" babies. I just can't seem to think of any other ways to get protein in.. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)