Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Antibiotic vent

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM
  • 29 Replies

It just drives me crazy!!! Why some moms keep thinking that if a kid has a sore throat with fever he needs antibiotics! Most likely they are viral infections  where antibiotic don't do any good! I'd an understand if there is a strep throat, and after 3-4 days didn't get better by itself, but why don't they understand that giving antibiotic for a viral infection is just like giving candies!!! And I can't believe how some doctors still prescribes antibiotics without doing a throat swab! My doctor told me "it costs 1$ and it takes 5 min, I don't get it why they give out antibiotics like if it was nothing, now that we know the consequences about overuse of them".

I needed to vent, lol I was discussing with a mom who toke out of school for a fever of 101 and sore throat and the doctor put the kid on antibiotics without doing a swab....these poor kids! Filled with antibiotics for a sore throat, antibiotics in their meat, all processed foods, instead of fruits and veggies they eat fruit snaks, that to me are just candies, and than they wonder why they are always sick!!!!

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd was sick and my mom insisted on taking her to the dr. They did a throat swab which was negative but wanted to send it to the lab just in case. They gave her abx just in case she had strep. Seriously?!

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM
3 moms liked this
This is why I love my ped. In the interview he said,"nice to meet you, I'm Dr.bruni, if you want a proscription for every little thing, this is not the place for you." <3
I wanted to hug him.
I suggested him to a friend who left his practice because he wouldn't give her kid antibiotics for a cold. *sigh* I don't get it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:24 AM

My ped told me about doctors like yours, he was saying "if you plan to give antibiotics even with a negative swab, why do you put the child thru the pain of doing a swab?" I was so lucky with our ped 

Quoting JoJoBean8:

My dd was sick and my mom insisted on taking her to the dr. They did a throat swab which was negative but wanted to send it to the lab just in case. They gave her abx just in case she had strep. Seriously?!

amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:26 AM
2 moms liked this

I mean, the negatives of antibiotics are well known by now, just turn on the news! Is not that you have to research in some hippie holistic website, it's a fact, that's why I just don't get it why parents and doctors keep prescribing them like if they were nothing bad, just drives me crazy...

Quoting MaryJarrett:

This is why I love my ped. In the interview he said,"nice to meet you, I'm Dr.bruni, if you want a proscription for every little thing, this is not the place for you." <3
I wanted to hug him.
I suggested him to a friend who left his practice because he wouldn't give her kid antibiotics for a cold. *sigh* I don't get it.

SMDufour
by New Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I totally feel the same! My son was not gettin better and I was concerned it was going into his chest. He was with a child who had pneumonia earlier that month so I felt the need. Well his chest was clear and she did a swab which was negative. Didn't even mention antibiotics which I am happy about. My other friends whose kids have the sore throat/ runny nose all got antibiotics. They thought it was weird my DS didn't get them prescribed to them. Seriously ??!! I just ignore it obviously and don't waste my time telling them the dangers since it does no good. Thanks for the vent post !
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Haha, this sounds like my Mom the other day. She still thinks antibiotics are the thing. I spent so much of my childhood sick which I now know is because she'd take us to get antibiotics for every little thing!

My youngest started running a fever last Thursday. On Friday when hubby took it, it was 105.5. So I relented and took him in to get checked, against my better judgment. Of course they tell me it's viral and needs to run it's course, expect a fever & illness for a week. I'm a-ok with no medication. That was Friday. He was back to 100% by Sunday, 2 days later.

When my Mom visited on Monday she's still all upset they didn't prescribe antibiotics and he's not even sick anymore!!! She saying "I know they say it's viral and antibiotics won't help, but sometimes you really just need that something extra to help out so you can get better" And I'm thinking, yeah he obviously needs help being completely healthy now and all, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcarsel89
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:02 PM
5 moms liked this

Photo: Just say NO to unnecessary antibiotics!

Drives me crazy too!! I posted this on my timeline. I think docs use antibiotics for pacifiers.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Quoting amazzonia:

My ped told me about doctors like yours, he was saying "if you plan to give antibiotics even with a negative swab, why do you put the child thru the pain of doing a swab?" I was so lucky with our ped 

I've not been through it before with my kids, so I'm not sure how a swab is done.  Can you give me a rundown?  It doesn't sound like a painful process, but it must be?...

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:03 PM
That's awesome!

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I wanted to hug him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM
2 moms liked this
It's not even slightly painful. They stick a huge Q-Tip in your throat for about a second and you start to gag then its done (had step nearly constantly as a kid, so I've had more than my fair share of swabs)

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting amazzonia:

I've not been through it before with my kids, so I'm not sure how a swab is done.  Can you give me a rundown?  It doesn't sound like a painful process, but it must be?...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)