Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

It just drives me crazy!!! Why some moms keep thinking that if a kid has a sore throat with fever he needs antibiotics! Most likely they are viral infections  where antibiotic don't do any good! I'd an understand if there is a strep throat, and after 3-4 days didn't get better by itself, but why don't they understand that giving antibiotic for a viral infection is just like giving candies!!! And I can't believe how some doctors still prescribes antibiotics without doing a throat swab! My doctor told me "it costs 1$ and it takes 5 min, I don't get it why they give out antibiotics like if it was nothing, now that we know the consequences about overuse of them".

I needed to vent, lol I was discussing with a mom who toke out of school for a fever of 101 and sore throat and the doctor put the kid on antibiotics without doing a swab....these poor kids! Filled with antibiotics for a sore throat, antibiotics in their meat, all processed foods, instead of fruits and veggies they eat fruit snaks, that to me are just candies, and than they wonder why they are always sick!!!!

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Replies (21-29):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

OMG the girl we were babysitting seemed to think antbiotics were the answer to everything.  This child was ALWAYS o meds, drove me crazy!  Keep in mind my kids have rarely ever gotten antibiotics, I dont give probiotics onn a regular basis or anything to prevent illness, we do give some vaccines though not all and we dont have the best diet or even the cleanest house.  We just dont have sickly kids i guess and we dont overreact to runny nose, cough or illness like those

ashuiren
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't get this either. Luckily my kid's ped. won't prescribe anything that isn't clearly needed. Neither have ever been on antibiotics and my oldest is almost seven.

I don't get running to the doctor for everything either. If there's a high fever that's not improving and the child acts lethargic or can't keep anything down then I'd take them in. For myself, if I'm not dying or pregnant I just deal with it myself, lol. My hubby will go any time he has sinus trouble and his doc always gives him antibiotics and anything else he can think of it seems.

He and I have been fighting what I thought was a bad cold for weeks now. I'm beginning to suspect mono, though, after talking to my mom who had it years ago with the same exact symtoms. He thinks we need to go in, but I don't see the point. Even if it is mono, it's a virus, so nothing but time, rest and fluids will help. I don't see wasting the $80+ cost of bloodwork if they actually test for mono to be told, "Yep, virus," or worse, the doc seeing snot and giving us antibiotics. 

maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

lol that sounds like my mom!  If dd gets so much as a sniffle she all "you have to get that child to the dr! NOW! she needs medicine...blah blah blah"

jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
LOL love this!!

Quoting mcarsel89:

Photo: Just say NO to unnecessary antibiotics!

Drives me crazy too!! I posted this on my timeline. I think docs use antibiotics for pacifiers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm so glad I knew since my oldest was a baby that ABX don't help most illnesses at all.

ABX seriously screwed up my youngest child's gut. After 2 doses. I hate them! I was really worried that she needed them since she was so young and had an awful ear infection =(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM

THe only time I had to give them to my dd because the swab was positive, I had to stop because they were seriously messing up with her bowls! Now they even found a link between guts and brain, I wonder if all the kids with autism are caused by the overuse of antibiotics

Quoting jconney80:

I'm so glad I knew since my oldest was a baby that ABX don't help most illnesses at all.

ABX seriously screwed up my youngest child's gut. After 2 doses. I hate them! I was really worried that she needed them since she was so young and had an awful ear infection =(

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I don't get it, either. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Sounds like a great dr! 

Quoting MaryJarrett: This is why I love my ped. In the interview he said,"nice to meet you, I'm Dr.bruni, if you want a proscription for every little thing, this is not the place for you." <3  I wanted to hug him.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I probably should pay him a visit. We haven't seen him since the Oct 2011. I forgot about last years well visit. I don't think about it. Lol

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Sounds like a great dr! 

Quoting MaryJarrett: This is why I love my ped. In the interview he said,"nice to meet you, I'm Dr.bruni, if you want a proscription for every little thing, this is not the place for you." <3  I wanted to hug him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)