Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Laboring at home

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM
  • 38 Replies

I want to do most of my laboring at home, comfort reasons, at what point do I go to the hospital considering everything is going well (no bleeding, or causes for alarm)? Is it the 3-5 minute rule? Go when ur contractions are about that close together? 

My water had to (well probably didnt "have to") be broken with my last 2..do I go in as soon as it breaks or can I wait?

I wanted to get a midwife but a home birth made DH nervous so we compromised I would give birth in a hospital but do the majority of my laboring at home. This is my 3rd but his 1st. We live less than 10 mins from the hospital.

Wife to an amazing, loving, and respectful man. Mommy to a handsome man who gets his kicks from making others smile, and a beautiful little girl with an old soul and nurturing spirit. Expecting in May.

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dee0886
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:44 PM

bump

littlelambe2
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I live 40 mins away from the hospital. I went in once I couldn't talk through my contractions and both times I was admitted at 5cm and had baby within 4 hours. Once you can't talk through your contractions, your labor is well established and shouldn't go backwards or stall unless something is off. If you can still whisper or squeeze word out, your not far enou along. With my first, my ctx were 2-3 mins apart. With my second they were 7-10 mins apart, but baby was posterior, not engaged, and I had already been laboring for 7 hrs. Baby later turned, engaged, and was born in 40 mins so I was glad I didn't use the time between ctx to judge when I should go in. 

You do not have to go in right away if your water breaks. They would like labor to begin within 24 hrs after your water breaks (some terrible hospitals want baby to be born within 24 hrs of water breaking) just so that there is less concern of infection. I've known moms who have waited 2-3 days after water breaks. (Uncommon). If your water does break before labor, don't go in until your labor is well established. You don't have to give exact times of your water breaking, which may be a good decision so you won't be put on a clock. Decline vaginal exams, internal monitors, etc, as those do carry a great risk of infection because your amniotic sack is broken and there would be no barrier to protect baby. Find out what your doctor's and hospital's policy is about prom.

You do not need your water broken to have a baby. With my first, my water broke just before transition. With my second, my water broke with my first push. Having your waters intact is a good thing. And how cool would it be to have an en caul baby?

Good luck :)

rjmac88
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Depends. How the labor progresses... My labor with my second hit 4 min 5.5 hours before I delivered. My third my water broke 26 hours before labor started. Both this times would have been terrible to go in at. For me I would get through active labor for a few hours and then go in. I don't really have a transition. I'm in active and then I am pushing. And then the baby is here 5-10 minutes later.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rjmac88
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Be careful gauging labor by contraction intensity. My second labor was virtually painless at its worse. I could walk, talk, eat, laugh the entire time. Even pushing. I never lost the ability to speak with my third either and I had one of those super head exploding intense short labors. I couldnt move through conx but I could talk the whole time

Quoting littlelambe2:

I live 40 mins away from the hospital. I went in once I couldn't talk through my contractions and both times I was admitted at 5cm and had baby within 4 hours. Once you can't talk through your contractions, your labor is well established and shouldn't go backwards or stall unless something is off. If you can still whisper or squeeze word out, your not far enou along. With my first, my ctx were 2-3 mins apart. With my second they were 7-10 mins apart, but baby was posterior, not engaged, and I had already been laboring for 7 hrs. Baby later turned, engaged, and was born in 40 mins so I was glad I didn't use the time between ctx to judge when I should go in. 

You do not have to go in right away if your water breaks. They would like labor to begin within 24 hrs after your water breaks (some terrible hospitals want baby to be born within 24 hrs of water breaking) just so that there is less concern of infection. I've known moms who have waited 2-3 days after water breaks. (Uncommon). If your water does break before labor, don't go in until your labor is well established. You don't have to give exact times of your water breaking, which may be a good decision so you won't be put on a clock. Decline vaginal exams, internal monitors, etc, as those do carry a great risk of infection because your amniotic sack is broken and there would be no barrier to protect baby. Find out what your doctor's and hospital's policy is about prom.

You do not need your water broken to have a baby. With my first, my water broke just before transition. With my second, my water broke with my first push. Having your waters intact is a good thing. And how cool would it be to have an en caul baby?

littlelambe2
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Haha,,, yeah, guess I should have answered this question as "every labor is different!"  I was always told to wait until timing of contractions, but I'm glad I didn't wait that long w second time or I may have had a freeway baby. Now I've been through 2 labors, I know how my body feels when I've hit active labor (a little shaky and giddy) so perhaps, OP, you could use your previous labors as a guide?... Even though every labor is different....

Quoting rjmac88:

Be careful gauging labor by contraction intensity. My second labor was virtually painless at its worse. I could walk, talk, eat, laugh the entire time. Even pushing. I never lost the ability to speak with my third either and I had one of those super head exploding intense short labors. I couldnt move through conx but I could talk the whole time

Quoting littlelambe2:

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM
3 moms liked this

If your water breaks to initiate labor, don't go in until your contractions are well established. You'll get put on the clock, have increased risk of infection, and probably end up with a pitocin augmentation.

rjmac88
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Yep just play it by eat. If you are unsure if its labor or if its strong enough... It's too early (generally speaking) once you hit that "this is it!" Moment start working your way toward heading in.

Quoting littlelambe2:

Haha,,, yeah, guess I should have answered this question as "every labor is different!"  I was always told to wait until timing of contractions, but I'm glad I didn't wait that long w second time or I may have had a freeway baby. Now I've been through 2 labors, I know how my body feels when I've hit active labor (a little shaky and giddy) so perhaps, OP, you could use your previous labors as a guide?... Even though every labor is different....

Quoting rjmac88:

Quoting littlelambe2:

littlelambe2
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh... I just saw that you live less than 10 minutes from the hospital. You should have "lots" of time. If you get there and feel you arrived too early, you don't have to go in right away or even be admitted. 

mrs.hartman12
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:21 PM
I felt my baby drop in the birth canal an hour before pushing time. I guess that's transition? Idk but tem minutes away from the hospital is pretty close.
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Less than 10 minutes from the hospital? You could probably wait until you felt like pushing and still make it in time! (and no, nobody needs to tell me how fast the pushing stage can go, I'm well aware considering I've never had to push more than about 15 minutes (the first) and as little as 4 minutes (the last)) I'm just saying that being that close to the hospital is unlikely she needs to worry about leaving too late nearly as much add she needs to worry about leaving too early.

Every woman is different obviously, but most women find labor to be painful at least by the end. I'd probably wait until you hit that point where your contractions are one on top of the other and you suddenly think there's no way you can do this after all, unless you've got a history of not finding contractions painful at any point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)