Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Diaper rash help

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:31 PM
  • 15 Replies

My almost 5 month old developed a rash due to teething and a perpetual leaky butt. I got rid of it using coconut oil with my cloth diapers, but now it's back with a vengeance. Is he's in disposables now and I've been using Burt's bees diaper cream and its not going away. It's now bright red, only in the area where her butt cheeks smoosh together in the diaper. But the cream isn't staying on, it a right red, and there's one small angry spot where it's raw. I gave her some bare butt time today. What can I do? Disposables and cream isn't working. And I think that my prefolds are aggravating the problem because if they're next to her skin, her rash gets worse. If its in a pocket, rash is unaffected. Sorry for the ramble. Thanks in advance for the help. 

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:33 PM

When my kids got a diaper rash I would just let them run around naked a lot.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Are you sure it's not a yeast infection?  It'll have raised bumps if it is...  I've had luck with DS's yeasty rash by using cream for athlete's foot.

What about adding some corn starch to the diapers to help draw moisure away from his "angry spots?"

mommytotwonow
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM

my little red head is the king of rashs. i have tried everything nd the best thing i found was layering a little triple antibiotic cream then Dr,Sheffield's rash cream (from the dollar store!!!) and top it off with A&D to seal it. i too cloth diaper so i use a flush-able liner to keep them safe and keep all the creams in place. i would bleach all my diapers and rinse them a few extra times. i dont know if its just me but i feel like one rash always leads to another if i dont bleach his diapers. 

mommytotwonow
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:45 PM

is corn starch cloth safe? jw i would like to try that at night.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Are you sure it's not a yeast infection?  It'll have raised bumps if it is...  I've had luck with DS's yeasty rash by using cream for athlete's foot.

What about adding some corn starch to the diapers to help draw moisure away from his "angry spots?"

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I assume it is, but I have no proof.  If we can put it in our bodies via cooking, I can't see that it would hurt cloth!  (Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong here!)

Quoting mommytotwonow:

Quoting GoodyBrook:

littlelambe2
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Yes. I buy baby powder wthi cornstarch (instead of talc) in it. 

Quoting mommytotwonow:

Quoting GoodyBrook:

littlelambe2
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Dh also suggested powdering her bottom to help dry it out. I powdered it silly just now before her diaper. We'll see if that helps. 

littlelambe2
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Based on the pictures on google, it doesn't have those raised bumps. It's more like a very red strip where her butt cheeks touch and stay together in her diaper. 

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:22 PM

baking soda bath, breastmilk.

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM
The only thing that works for us is the earth mamma angel baby
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)