Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

SIDS question..

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:06 AM
  • 14 Replies
I wasn't really sure where to ask this but if anyone has any info it would be appreciated :)
I was just wondering how long will ds be in danger of SIDS? is SIDS rare or something I should actually worry about?
I got a call from mom365 & they offer to pay for 2 mos of gerber life insurance for ds. it didn't feel like a big deal but after thinking about it, I don't know what I would do if anything happened to my baby! it's really freaking me out & I feel like I have to be with him 24/7.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:47 AM
1 mom liked this
It really helps to educate yourself about what really causes Sids and what the real risks are. People commonly mistake SIDS for suffocating. They are two different things.

Breastfeeding, safe bedsharing, delayed or no vaccines are all things that reduce a babies risk of SIDS.

I don't worry about SIDS as much now because my babies were sleeping against me feeling my heartbeat and matching their breathing rhythms to mine. I was "reminding" them to breathe by being near them. Our bodies are made to do this. Babies who breastfeed frequently wake and don't go into a deep sleep which protects from SIDS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:49 AM
I don't think you need to rush out and by insurance. SIDS scares lots of new moms and it's not a common thing. Especially if you lower the risk factors
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
schultzal
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:38 AM
1 mom liked this
The early child nurse here said that the risk decreases substantially at 6 weeks, again at 12 weeks, and again at 6 months.

But the poster above me is absolutely right about everything she said. :)

I know it is stressful to even think about. Just know the risk factors and avoid them, and hopefully that will give you peace of mind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greentealover18
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM
I already feel better lol
I'll have to share the info with df! he will roll over in the middle of the night, check to make sure ds is breathing, and go back to sleep!

Quoting jconney80:

It really helps to educate yourself about what really causes Sids and what the real risks are. People commonly mistake SIDS for suffocating. They are two different things.

Breastfeeding, safe bedsharing, delayed or no vaccines are all things that reduce a babies risk of SIDS.

I don't worry about SIDS as much now because my babies were sleeping against me feeling my heartbeat and matching their breathing rhythms to mine. I was "reminding" them to breathe by being near them. Our bodies are made to do this. Babies who breastfeed frequently wake and don't go into a deep sleep which protects from SIDS.
lifeforchrist
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM

SIDs is a very real risk. I believe Dr. Sears talks about it being a sleep disorder? Before 6 months its good to be aware of the baby's sleeping habits. My husbands aunt had twins die from sids, one at 3 months and the other at 6months. They were formula fed and left in their own room. Like the other poster said. bedsharing and breastfeeding. In the early days it's important to not let them go more than 3 hours at a time.

Terpsichore
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I've heard that babies lying on their stomachs sleep more soundly and are therefore more likely to die of SIDS, hence the current "back to sleep" mantra. 

To my knowledge, Gerber life insurance pays for a funeral if the baby dies. How does that alleviate fears?

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM
All of this. You will get a lot of what people have ward causes SIDS, but when you do some research, there are a few big things that raise the risk. Vaccines do hugely, crib mattresses drenched in chemicals ( that's why if a baby is sleeping on their stomachs they are breathing in way more toxins). Co sleeping breastfeed babies are very in sync with their mothers and are less likely to stop breathing.

Quoting jconney80:

missmayamoo
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM

all of this is exactly right!

the highest risk is between 2-4 months but it can happen before and after as well. the DTaP shot is closely linked to SIDS so delaying shots lowers the risk. Having baby sleep on his back is supposed to be best but his side is ok as well. Even though I always co-sleep with ds, we breastfeed and we do not vaccinate I was still obsessive about checking his breathing while he slept til he was about 14 months old or so lol it's normal for a new mom to be like that, but the best thing is to lower the risks as much as possible and try not to worry. *hugs*

Quoting jconney80:

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Definetly on the vaccine.  A Japan study showed that SIDS virtually ceased when they delayed the DTaP until after the age of 2.  I saw somewhere that the risk of SIDS increases by 70% for up to 21 days post vaccination.

wolfybaby
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:02 PM

so glad to see so many women offering the right advice! safe bed sharing, breast feeding, and limited chemicals and drugs [including vaccines, which if you are going to do at all, i suggest delaying them to alleviate your fear of SIDS. doctors will tell you vaccines *reduce* the risk of SIDS, but that is not true. i dug deeper and found out the reason they say that, its because if a child catches pertussis/whooping cough, they tend to have trouble breathing for a while after, which can cause respiratory failure. suffocation, not SIDS.]

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN