Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Is this CIO? :s

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son started crying a minute ago, but when I peaked in to check up on him, he had stopped and was laying there, eyes closed and he looked like he was almost (if not already) asleep. I left, and he's been doing the same thing for about 5 minutes now and I don't know if I should just let him put himself to sleep like that, or go in and risk disturbing him? I don't want to leave him to cry if there's something wrong, but if there was something wrong, he wouldn't normally stop crying. 

Gah, help!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
H.I.S.
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM

He'll probably go back to sleep is left undisturbed. All babies go trough sleep transitions and sometimes getting to sleep can be tough if baby has been over-stimulated or over-tired. If he's fed, dry, and you don't hear the shrieking "in-pain" cry, I would let him just go to sleep on his own.

Good luck momma!

Lilypie - (VOWJ)

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I have a five minute rule. If she fusses for more than five min I go in and read more and sing more, but usually she puts herself to sleep. Lately I have heard her singing to her stuffed animals until she falls asleep. lol

MegMonsterMomma
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I usually stick by that if he's not sounding like 'serious' crying where he's actually awake and alert. He ended up dozing off for about another half hour after I posted this, but then he woke up for real. We're working on getting rid of the pacifier so I worry a lot about him more now because he's down by one sleep association/comfort. He does a lot of things to put himself to sleep (he's never really needed my help falling asleep, which sucked a lot - so many cuddles missed!!) but since he cut his latest two teeth his been very attached to the soother. 

Quoting monalisasus:

I have a five minute rule. If she fusses for more than five min I go in and read more and sing more, but usually she puts herself to sleep. Lately I have heard her singing to her stuffed animals until she falls asleep. lol

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I let my son whine but not cry. If there are tears or he is really upset I go in his room. Sometimes he whines himself to sleep but isn't upset. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM

YEP same for me

Quoting JoJoBean8:

I let my son whine but not cry. If there are tears or he is really upset I go in his room. Sometimes he whines himself to sleep but isn't upset. 

KJH78
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Is he crying or just fussing....to me the CIO method is when the child is really crying and upset. If he's just fussing and laying down he's okay. I don't do the CIO method but if my daughter is just fussing I'm okay with that....

MegMonsterMomma
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM

That's exactly what it was - thanks. It was just one of those moments where I really just wasn't sure. I knew for sure he wasn't crying for real, but I'm just super-heightened to any noise he makes when I put him down because of our current attempts to ditch the pacifier. Yesterday wasn't a good day for either of us - he had a fever and I just caught a cold - but I'm glad he wasn't upset and did just need to whine himself to sleep a little bit. I don't want him to CIO for obvious reasons. I'm a SAHM for a reason - so I can be here for him. 

Quoting JoJoBean8:

mjrex87
by Mindy on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Sometimes my DD cries out in her sleep. I run in because she sounds so upset, but she's sound asleep! It usually happens when she's teething.

As long as you're there when he really needs you (and it sounds like you are), hes not CIO.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM

We have a video monitor and it makes it so much easier to tell if he is really upset or just whining. 

Quoting MegMonsterMomma:

That's exactly what it was - thanks. It was just one of those moments where I really just wasn't sure. I knew for sure he wasn't crying for real, but I'm just super-heightened to any noise he makes when I put him down because of our current attempts to ditch the pacifier. Yesterday wasn't a good day for either of us - he had a fever and I just caught a cold - but I'm glad he wasn't upset and did just need to whine himself to sleep a little bit. I don't want him to CIO for obvious reasons. I'm a SAHM for a reason - so I can be here for him. 

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)