Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Remedies for thrush? (Piog)

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM
  • 10 Replies
Clinic is closed til Monday. My baby has it, but doesn't seem bothered by it. She will be 4 weeks on Tuesday. I have it too. My nipples are red and cracked and sling pretty much constantly. Hurts more when she nurses.
When I say remedies I mean using household items. I live in a tiny town. Safeway is the only store store lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Coconut oil, vinegar
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarineLewis
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:25 AM
How much vinegar? Would I need to wash it off before nursing? Any specific kind? Does it help with the stinging?

Quoting larissalarie:

Coconut oil, vinegar

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I would just wipe your nipples after she nurses every time. It kills the fungus, so it'll help the stinging eventually as it works.
Regular household vinegar will do.
You need to treat baby's mouth too or she'll just keep reinfecting you.

Quoting SarineLewis:

How much vinegar? Would I need to wash it off before nursing? Any specific kind? Does it help with the stinging?

Quoting larissalarie:

Coconut oil, vinegar

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/thrush-resources/

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Gentian Violet. Just swab it on your nipples and touch it in baby's mouth, reapply when it fades for 3-7 days. You can also use it on the diaper area. No rinsing needed. You can get it at CVS, Walgreens, even some Walmarts. Monistat works in a pinch but only on your nipples and babies bottom, always rinse before nursing. Nystatin cream if you have it on hand, same rules as the monistat. Coconut oil & vinegar as Larissa already said. Grape seed extract, but I don't remember those guidelines off hand.

Be sure that even if baby isn't showing symptoms now to treat or you can pass it back and forth, recontaminating yourself over and over. Sterilize all things that touch your milk (breast pads, bra, bibs, burp cloths, pump parts, etc), baby's saliva (pacifiers, etc), and babies diapers if cloth. I just soaked everything in vinegar to do so.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM
To add, drink lemon water, take.probiotics, whole raw garlic and candex.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for making it clicky. One of these days I'll learn how to do that!

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

grapefruit seed extract :)

just  dilute slightly and swab on nipples before nursing.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Gentian Violet. Just swab it on your nipples and touch it in baby's mouth, reapply when it fades for 3-7 days. You can also use it on the diaper area. No rinsing needed. You can get it at CVS, Walgreens, even some Walmarts. Monistat works in a pinch but only on your nipples and babies bottom, always rinse before nursing. Nystatin cream if you have it on hand, same rules as the monistat. Coconut oil & vinegar as Larissa already said. Grape seed extract, but I don't remember those guidelines off hand.

Be sure that even if baby isn't showing symptoms now to treat or you can pass it back and forth, recontaminating yourself over and over. Sterilize all things that touch your milk (breast pads, bra, bibs, burp cloths, pump parts, etc), baby's saliva (pacifiers, etc), and babies diapers if cloth. I just soaked everything in vinegar to do so.

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Also eliminate/reduce carbs and sugar, and use disposables or sun diapers between uses to prevent re-infection.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)