Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

gbs+ -36wks please help +other ?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM
  • 33 Replies
Im gps +. I didnt know until yesterday. But ive -had it through my entire pregnancy. My dr never told me or talked to me about it.
I had to peice things together and figured it out. It was.confirmed with a call to a midwife. I am so worried....

I had a csection with my last baby. I am given the choice to have repeat or vbac I picked vbac. Before knowing I have gbs.

IVE . READ A LOT ABOUT GBS NOW.. I lost a baby before. Not from gbs or anything to do health wise. I grieved for 8 yrs day and night. Even in my sleep. Until I allowed myself to live a little.. I gave it to god and I let go best I could. I fear going through that again losing a baby. Now there is a chance I can lose him just after birth.. Because of gbs. I am so emotional..

Of every thing ive read and have been told. Im thinking s pkanned csection 1-2 weeks before due date. I am 36wks but measuring 37-38weeks. My water broke well before I went into labor with
my last baby. They had to induce labor.

Thank you for helping with this, by telling your own experiences with gbs. I see a lot did it without antibiotics. Thats scary, yet im worrying about using antibiotics. Also, to help labor and baby would it be better doing it with a mild pain reliever or without .any epidural? ??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM
5 moms liked this
Ok, first of all CALM DOWN!! GBS is super common, hence why it's a standard test. f you know you've got it you can search the group there are many posts about natural ways to treat it. And if you prefer the conventional route, you just get IV antibiotics in labor to protect baby. It's no biggie, your baby isn't even gonna get sick let alone die from this :)

I was positive for it last pregnancy. You need to be on antibiotics for 4 hours before delivery to be fully effective. I have a history of 2 hour labors, and that's total, I'm at the hospital even less time. So I was concerned asking my doc what we could do since I likely wouldn't have time to treat it in labor. He basically shrugged and said it was really no big deal. Even without treatment it's only like half a percent chance of baby getting sick at all, antibiotics in labor just reduce practically nothing.

Talk to your doctor & midwife about this. Stay away from Google on this one. If you need internet feedback, limit it to this group of calm rational moms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats on your pregnancy and decision to VBAC!

30% of women can be positive for GBS at any one time.  A week later those same women might be negative.  Being positive isn't a big deal.

I personally did not have a GBS test this last pregnancy.  I ended up VBACing in a hospital instead of with my midwife, and the hospital didn't even suggest antibiotics though they knew I had refused testing.  It's not a big deal, really!  BREATHE!

(And if  you're looking for some VBAC support, come on over to the CM group, VBAC Moms!)

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I was positive with my first. It wasn't a big deal. They will make you get an IV of abx while you are in labor. It's pretty common. 

CjEmmemommy
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:48 PM

You don't need to have a c section bc of gbs. My first water broke before labor started and my others didn't, 

You need to start a vit c regiment now to built yours and the babies immune system. You can take probiotics from the health food store (drink) to help balance the flora and  echinaccea will also help with that.

Get some hebiclease wash from the first aid section at the store and during labor you rise with that and your midwife can use it on her hands during any checks. That will clean the area of infected flora for birth.

Then you can't watch for warning signs and get baby treated if needed. While gbs in babies is very dangerous its also very unlikely.. The flora can change not whir own from negative to positive and back. Anitbotics are available too, not an option I used but better than planning a c section.

Good luck. It's one of those fear pushed topics at make us so nervous when it's often treatable.

sugarandstones
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I am very guilty of reading so much about it now that I know I have it and what upsets me to do is they never talked about it or treatment for it through my entire pregnancy. even now they haven't . and I talk to my midwife twice once today and 12 o'clock last night from worry, confirming it because no 1 has told me I had. but now this been confirmed and I've been reading up a lot I found a website about alternative treatment s. I was prescribed probiotic or told by some a couple weeks ago because of a yeast infection. I'm not really sure how many Ounces it take because of this infection. you know if I would be taken too much or not enough. thank you ladies for your encouraging words.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Why wouldn't you just get the antibiotics for the GBS and have a vbac?

sugarandstones
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Thats an option- I fear him being the 1 of 4000. Since reading better out comes, and doing more research I am fee better about the idea. I want them to test mevat each visit here on out

Quoting Sarah725:

hapababies
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:18 PM
I had gbs with both of my pregnancies and was on IV antibiotics with both boys. They are both healthy and strong little kids.
I didn't know that there were natural remedies for gbs when I was pregnant both times. I wish I would have known or done research rather that getting the antibiotic.
I am very sorry for your loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:21 PM

How do you know you've had it througout your entire pregnancy if you've never been tested for it before?  Group B Strep is nothing to panic about or have a cesarean over.  You can have antibiotics during labor and your baby will be just fine.  Something to consider is that you can be positive one week and negative the next, and there are natural remedies you can do to decrease your bacteria count.

larissalarie
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:34 PM
The risks of a c section are greater than the risk of GBS. Don't believe the myth that c sections are risk free to baby (and obviously mom)

Quoting sugarandstones:

Thats an option- I fear him being the 1 of 4000. Since reading better out comes, and doing more research I am fee better about the idea. I want them to test mevat each visit here on out

Quoting Sarah725:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)