Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ready to take the plunge!

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM
  • 5 Replies

For the past few years I've been doing research on natural living and our family has slowly been making changes with our diet and other ways we live.  We love the changes we have seen in our family's health and other things.

So, I think we are finally ready to take the full plunge.  I'll be cutting out all refined sugar, as much gluten as possible, and going completely organic.  The only thing is we are doing this on a tight budget so I was hoping some ladies here would have advice and resources for me to get started.

I've already started making our own house cleaners.  For our food we've decided to go all organic which means a mostly vegetarian diet as organic meat is expensive.  I was thinking of having meat only 1-2 times a week.  So I definitely need recipes for affordable meals.  We want all organic dairy and maybe even go to raw dairy.  We live in Boston, MA if maybe you know of any farmers we can hook up with.  Also, what are some low cost staples to have in the home for meals and snacks?  Any and all info on how to go as crunchy as possible on a budget would be very welcome!!

Thanx in advance :)

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Look into a CSA and a beef and chicken share. Also shop farmers markets. Honestly going all organic is not that expensive. It;s really the snacks that are expensive. I only buy snacks for dd for school. At home it's yogurt, cheese sticks, or fruit. 

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Baking muffins, making your own granola, and homemade pancakes frozen to heat up for a quick snack are my top recommendations.

Search "apple trinity muffins" for my favorite muffin recepie ever (I use 1/2 amount of called sugar). The more baking you do the more comfortable you will be with subbing ingredients for your diet and lifestyle.

Organic apples, celery and carrots are pretty comparable in cost w non organic. So are a lot of items if you find a good enough grocery store. Look into a CSA also:)
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Good job on your decision!!  I love making my own granola bars.

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:29 PM
I'm not very good at watching cost. I need to be better. I guess I should be watching your post for tips as well. :) I do have a dryer that I use to dry fruit in. My 4 year old loves fruit and it is a quick and rather inexpensive snack.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:27 PM

That's great.. :o)  Meals/Snacks.. most of ours comes from Whole Foods!

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)