Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Add/ADHD

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM
  • 20 Replies
A client told me that a child who has add/ADHD can sit on an exercise ball and it will help him calm down and focus. She said the right parts of his brain are focused on balancing and that's how it works.
She worked with a teacher who had one ball in the classroom and each kid would have it for a day at a time and there was always a big improvement with add kids.

Anyone try this?

What's the difference between add and ADHD anyway?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Thats cool about the ball. My kids don't have any disorders, so no.
ADD- attention deficit disorder
ADHD- attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isaacsmommy68
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Add and adhd are the same thing. There are different spectrums. Some children are more hyper some have more problems with attention. My son has the hyper problem. I have heard of the ball. My son just bounces so hard on it that it becomes a distraction. There is also a wiggle seat too. That also did not work with my son. Ritalin and no tv, or video games during the week, and limited on the weekends help a lot. It is a challange! But I love him dearly he is a sweet child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Interesting! I think add and adhd are the same thing.

mommaoftwo
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

there are kids who present as calm but distracted (ADD)

some that present as focused but hyper (ADHD)

and some that have both. (ADHD)

My 4 yr old has ADHD, we don't medicate, if we will be somewhere it is really important for him to be calmer, we will medicate with coffee or a soda. The caffeine acts as ritalin but doesn't have the side effects that ritalin does. Both are stimulants and work the same way.

conejoazul
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I am reading a book about it currently and neurology seems to be putting the ADD label aside in favor of ADHD for all patients; not sure how that will chime with the other sectors of healthcare that need to distinguish between patients for various reasons. I don´t have it with me currently, but the "hyperactivity" element of the medical condition doesn´t have to be expressed externally to warrent the ADHD label, as I recall.  

Anyway, since at the root of ADHD are complications or deficits in frontal lobe activity:

Neurologists (have) explained that students have to be relaxed if they are to retain information they learn, but they must also be stimulated in order for their brains to store information in the frontal lobe, where long-term memory resides.  Hence, a balance ball, can be one of those somewhat silent classroom (or home) furniture substitutions that stimulates while not dominating the full attention span for some ADHD students. Videos stimulate too, but usually dominate the attention span of some patients, so that wouldn´t be a useful classroom substitution.

As a general rule, neuroscience is consistently linking frontal lobe activity deficits as the initial medical condition that fosters ADHD, even though other factors may stimulate it´s apparentness to the rest of us or to a clinician. Also, as far as I have studied so far, ADHD is still only diagnosed based on clinical observation of patients - there isn´t any frontal lobe activity test that specifically identifies ADHD to my understanding. Also a person could have frontal lobe activity deficit and their diagnosis not fall within ADHD guidelines.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Another stimulant that a child can use in the classroom is silly-putty.  It gives them a physical outlet for their energy, but it is quiet and won't distract them or others from the lesson.  (Much as I often find myself chomping down on gum!)

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM

That is very interesting. DD doesn't have add or adhd but i will have to try it next time she cant calm down.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM

yes it works well for some ADHD kids..there is NO difference anymore its all called ADHD..I have one kiddo who has the hyperactive part and one that doesnt but both are ADHD diagnosis

one_on_the_way
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I think now they are just going with ADHD......with three possibilities - primarily inattentive type, primarily impulsive type, and mixed (both inattentive and impulsive tendencies).

I was diagnosed at the age of 32 ---- it was such a relief to finally have an answer for so many of my struggles I had since childhood.  

I bet the ball would work for some kids with ADHD, but not all....ones who are primarily impulsive may go overboard with bouncing on the ball rather than just focusing on balancing.  Interesting idea, though.

hapababies
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that the DSM threw out ADD and this mama is right about the three types of ADHD.
I agree also about how the impulsive type wouldn't do as well on the ball, you wouldn't know where that ball would end up flying to.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

I think now they are just going with ADHD......with three possibilities - primarily inattentive type, primarily impulsive type, and mixed (both inattentive and impulsive tendencies).

I was diagnosed at the age of 32 ---- it was such a relief to finally have an answer for so many of my struggles I had since childhood.  

I bet the ball would work for some kids with ADHD, but not all....ones who are primarily impulsive may go overboard with bouncing on the ball rather than just focusing on balancing.  Interesting idea, though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)