Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

breastfeeding and detox

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM
  • 23 Replies

Looking for sources and legitimate information on whether the body detoxes through breastmilk and to what extent. I've heard it does a ton of times, but never seen anything quoted or referenced. Anyone have anything?

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I have no sources it is just what I have always heard.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:46 PM

SOrry no sources for you..used to have them but bookmarks are old lol

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Detoxing 'by' lactating, not detoxing 'while' lactating? I do not have any info on that.. sorry.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:19 AM

This is actually one of the questions I was going to ask the Naturopath at our appointment tomorrow... 

I want to know if I can do a 3-day juice fast while breastfeeding.  I've heard lots of times that it shouldn't be done whilst breastfeeding, but I've not seen from any legitimate sources the "proof."  If toxins do indeed pass through breastmilk, I certainly want to know!  (And then I'll be really, REALLY freaked out about BPA and all the other things I have coursing through my body and into my LO via his food!)

But you always hear that malnourished women can grow perfectly healthy babies--that their breastmilk is as nutritious as a properly-nutritioned mother.  So wouldn't breastmilk from a mama NOT pass toxins, since it's the perfect food for our LOs?  HMMM...  I just don't know!

My cousin's wife was worried about the quality of her milk and took a sample to their local dairy board.  They tested it and found it all in order.  Perhaps they have tests for toxins as well that could be performed on an individual basis?

Enough of letting my mind wander on the subject.  I'll let you know what the ND says...

jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:11 AM
I have wondered the same thing ^^. i wanted to do a detox/ cleanse but was worried about nursing too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 1:24 AM

The ND looked horrified when I asked her about detoxing while nursing.  "Why would you risk it?" she asked.

Not the educational answer I was looking for, I'm sorry to report...

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM

See thats my thouht process too

Quoting GoodyBrook:

The ND looked horrified when I asked her about detoxing while nursing.  "Why would you risk it?" she asked.

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Kinda figured. :(

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

No, I'm looking for scholarly info on whether toxins pass through breastmilk while mom is detoxing. I keep hearing it's the case but never seen any actual proof or information.

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Detoxing 'by' lactating, not detoxing 'while' lactating? I do not have any info on that.. sorry.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:41 PM

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51:toxins-and-infant-feeding&catid=5:information&Itemid=17

An article on toxins and infant feeding taken from Dr. Jack Newman's facebook page...  Not that it says anything about "de-toxing" though...  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)