Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

was just thinking, could use advice....

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM
  • 17 Replies
Ok, so this time around dh said he wants to hold baby more so that (s)he will become more attached. This is exciting to me and i want to give him many opportunities as possible. My concern is that dh smokes. The days hes home he does it once, maybe twice, but comes backs in smellinf like smoke. (Never smokes aroubd kids and is always outside). So, how do i handle this? He was trying ti quit, but now seems like its going to take him forever too.....not eveb sure if its a goal anymore.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sj3starz
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM

You could make sure he has certain "smoking" clothes. I always had my dh wear something over is normal inside clothes in order to go smoke. He would also wash up before getting close to the baby. My biggest thing was he never rinsed his mouth and would breathe it all over the baby.

If he's careful about hygiene then it won't be a problem. I would approach talking to him in a way that seems like everything is about baby rather than being towards him.... if you haven't already talked about it. I'm probably preaching to the chior though so I'll just stop already. ;-)

larissalarie
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
The smoke clings to the skin & clothes, so I'd have him change his shirt and wash his hands, arms, & face/neck right after he's done. He really should be doing that anyway to protect you & the kids from 3rd hand smoke exposure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

He could shower well and brush/gargle after he comes in. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Yeah, we have had those talks. He was getting defensive about it, but started changing his shirt and washing.his hands for a while, but that stopped. He smells each time he comes in the house. I need to find a way to ask him to start doing i again. Also, where should he put his shirt afterwards? It just being in the house make the house smell! Wrap it in a bag? Lol
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this
This is what my husband did. He finally did end up quitting though with prescription medication. Woohoo. Never thought it would happen!

Quoting larissalarie:

The smoke clings to the skin & clothes, so I'd have him change his shirt and wash his hands, arms, & face/neck right after he's done. He really should be doing that anyway to protect you & the kids from 3rd hand smoke exposure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM

COuld he wait to smoke until after the kids go to bed?

tansyflower
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

can he use an e-cig during the day until after the kids are asleep?  they dont smell at all.

SoInLove515
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Ask him to quit cold turkey. I did. It's the only thing that worked for me.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:59 PM
MY hubby is a smoker too, only outside and never around the kids. He has tried everything to quit and its just not happening. I finally had to just give up. SInce hes a SAHD he does have to hold and cuddle our babies. AND he babywears. I finally had to realize that the 2nd hand smoke is something I can do nothing about...I hate it and he knows it. He washes he hands after smoking. AND removes his shirt/changes his shirt after smoking before holding or babywearing.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

HUbs leaves his on the back porch..his shirt that is.  AND it goes straight from there to the washer

Quoting Precious333:

Yeah, we have had those talks. He was getting defensive about it, but started changing his shirt and washing.his hands for a while, but that stopped. He smells each time he comes in the house. I need to find a way to ask him to start doing i again. Also, where should he put his shirt afterwards? It just being in the house make the house smell! Wrap it in a bag? Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)