Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Here and have lots of questions **update**

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this
**I made an appointment with a midwife practice yesterday and they excepted me. I fell in love, meet a doctor on the 9th. She just delivered 4, all natural births. I couldn't be more pleased!!!**

Hi, I'm new to the group and really look forward to getting some advice in here! I have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter that I had a natural birth with. Everything went great but it was a huge fight with nurses. My husband was deployed and my mother was the only person there. She was less than supportive.

This time around (due in June) I would love to have a delivery that is 100% what I want. I have a birth plan and plan to have no IV/heplock, no extended fetal monitoring, not letting the doctor pull baby out, not letting them take baby as soon as she is born (unless medically needed), and plan to not stay in the hospital for the mandatory 4 nights (plan to leave AMA if all is well with baby and I).

Some questions I have are these:

The glucose tolerance test is something I do not want to take! I am hypoglycimic, and last pregnancy I had to do the test 3 times due to throwing up the sugar drink!! I requested an A1C Blood draw but my doctor refuses and said I have to have the tolerance test.

My next question is that of going to the doctor every 2 weeks. Our doctor is an hour away (split practice and he works at the one in next town over) and I hate the drive once a month. Is it necessary to go every 2 weeks??? Then every week?? That is going to eat us up on gas!! I don't want to go that often, I don't let him do vaginal checks, I do a UA, he listens to heart beat. We have a good home doppler that I could do checks at home with.

My husband is 100% supportive of anything but research only gets me so far. Id love any advice you have. I would love a home birth but due to insurance not covering a midwife we must have a hospital birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you checked with midwives about the home birth?
They have ways to bill insurance sometimes...    ;-)

Having a doula will be good!

You don't have to agree to those unnecessary interventions, tell them you are all about Informed Consent, health and safety.  

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Just refuse the glucose test. NOTHING is mandatory, despite what you might be told.It's your body and you hired him.

I understand your frustration with the frequent visits at the end. I'm a believer that the first 30 weeks they're fairly pointless.
I don't know how wise it is to skip them at the end when stuff could actually start to go wrong quickly though. They're checking for protein in your urine and blood pressure mainly. Listening the baby is just a bonus. I would say the cost of gas should be one of those baby/pregnancy expenses you should be/have been planning for all along.

I'm sure I could be wrong though!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM

It sounds like you'd be an EXCELLENT candidate for an out-of-hospital birth!  I'm so sorry you had a terrible birth experience...I know they take a lot of time to come to terms with.

motherofjb
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I would LOVE a home birth but my husband isn't for it. I'm ok with a hospital birth as long as I don't have to fight for what I want.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

It sounds like you'd be an EXCELLENT candidate for an out-of-hospital birth!  I'm so sorry you had a terrible birth experience...I know they take a lot of time to come to terms with.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:10 PM

You can refuse any tests. They aren't madatory. 

Brandy85412
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM
You don't have to do anything you don't want. But your going to have to fight for yourself being with an ob. They tend to just want their patients to do what they say. Even with my midwife home birth i did every 2 weeks at the end.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM

You can refuse whatever tests you wish. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

BaileysMom9
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM

1st:  The glucose tolerance test is NOT mandatory.  They cannot force you to take it if you do not want to.  You will however, have to sign a waiver saying you declined the test.  Do not let your OB push you around.  Be firm.  This is your body and you have rights! 

2nd: You can go in as little or as often as YOU feel comfortable with, especially if you are low risk.  I personally do not plan to start doing 2 wk intervals until I'm after 32-33wks.  I get incredibly frustrated with OB appointments because they always seem so pointless (granted this is my 4th and I have NO history of high blood pressure, protein in urine, GD or any other risk factor).  Again, pay attention to your body and schedule your appts how you feel fit.  Just be informed and aware of what is going on.  I think it's a good idea to check for protein and sugars in your urine at home if you extend your visits.  Right now (I'm 23 wks), I've been going in every 5 weeks instead of 4wks bc it's completely a waste of my time and money.  That's just me personally though.  Everyone chooses to do things differently.

hapababies
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Hi :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristin_Allen
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:31 AM

http://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10084

Print this out. You have RIGHTS to refuse any and all procedures. And most of them are backed up by laws.
I agree with Doulala! A doula is trained to help support not only you, but your rights in a hospital setting, or even at home if you choose to home birth.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)