Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

any recommendations for high blood pressure?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM
  • 24 Replies

My blood pressure was 140/90 at my mw visit the other day. I have a history of hp when pregnant and the mw said to do the brewer diet. i also brought up taking cal. mag and she said that was a good idea. what else can i do? any other vitamins?

Lilypie Maternity tickers

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I was going to suggest calcium-magnesium, and lots of protein, around 80 grams or more a day. How far along are you?

mommytotwonow
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:40 PM

13 weeks. 

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I was going to suggest calcium-magnesium, and lots of protein, around 80 grams or more a day. How far along are you?

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Massage. Yoga. Meditation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:29 AM
try cutting out sugar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Also investigate Barley Tea.  The ND just recommended my DH start drinking it due to his high BP.

Will Spirulina also help?

I've heard that spending time DAILY floating in a swimming pool will do wonders for high BP, but I personally haven't tried it...

I had high BP issues in later pregnancy.  I tried cayenne pepper, and it really brought my pressure down overnight, but it also gave me contractions.  BE CAREFUL!

And soaking in Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) will also help reduce your BP, but it does't have a long-term effect.

(I had pre-e for my first pregnancy, but it was down-graded to gestational hypertension for my second pregnancy)

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Since it's so early in your pregnancy, I'd recommend a consult with a competent ND.  You'll get a LOT of useful information (BP and otherwise) that you can implement during the next 3/4 of your pregnancy!

Quoting mommytotwonow:

13 weeks. 

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

mommytotwonow
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:48 AM

cal mag with zinc? 

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

vanityrayne
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Ok so it may sound weird but it works. When you get your bp taken do NOT cross your legs. Be completely limp. Have a focal point. Like a picture on the wall or even your shoe. Breathe shallow. Ive told tons of patients this after taking their bp then waiting 5 minutes and doing it again. It drops! Congrats!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommytotwonow
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM

i will try this! even the idea of taking my bp stresses me out. 

Quoting vanityrayne:

Ok so it may sound weird but it works. When you get your bp taken do NOT cross your legs. Be completely limp. Have a focal point. Like a picture on the wall or even your shoe. Breathe shallow. Ive told tons of patients this after taking their bp then waiting 5 minutes and doing it again. It drops! Congrats!!

vanityrayne
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Yes and it does for a ton of people:) just relax as much as possible. Maybe picture in your mind your baby's heartbeating?;)
If your legs are crossed your blood pressure will automatically be higher due to the blood flow working faster and harder. No clue why nurses don't tell patients this. Shallow breathing will help slow it down.

Quoting mommytotwonow:

i will try this! even the idea of taking my bp stresses me out. 

Quoting vanityrayne:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)