Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

home birth cost?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM
  • 26 Replies

how much did your home birth cost if i may ask , did your midwife or doula have a payment plan 

the more i read into hospital birth the more i wonder why im signing myself up for it, i mean unless i need extreme measures why do i need to be there, i dont like anything about the labor an delievery procedures

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I had an unassisted birth so the cost was minimal but the average here for a midwife is $3500 and includes all prenatal, delivery, and postpartum care. Most have payment plans and many are willing to exchange services for part of their fee.

For a lot of families the cost of a midwife is less than their deductible for a hospital birth would be.

conejoazul
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

bump - hope you get more replies - and LOVE your avatar photo - how romantic!

nicole2884
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I had an unassisted birth so the cost was minimal but the average here for a midwife is $3500 and includes all prenatal, delivery, and postpartum care. Most have payment plans and many are willing to exchange services for part of their fee.

For a lot of families the cost of a midwife is less than their deductible for a hospital birth would be.

i can see where that would be true i have kick but insurance then our out of pocket at the hospital would be 2 grand, but i did just find a birthing center so fingers crossed they accept our insurance an it would be covered

Hotpink06
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:58 PM

That'a what I'm going to do with the Birthing Center in my area with my insurance hoping they accept mine as well. 

Quoting nicole2884:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

i can see where that would be true i have kick but insurance then our out of pocket at the hospital would be 2 grand, but i did just find a birthing center so fingers crossed they accept our insurance an it would be covered

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:07 PM
In my area its typical to pay 4,000+

Thankfully there are midwives that work with you and there are scholarships you can apply for as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:16 PM

mine is 2500 out of pocket and the rest is covered by insurance. you can pay however you want as long as its all in by 34 weeks. 

MamaTwinkleA
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:21 PM
It was 2800 for us we had tricare at the time and they wouldnt help because it wasnt a cnm but it is illegal for a cnm to do a home birth here. It could be done in payments but all had to be in at 36 weeks. But I switched to her at 28 weeks and we agreed to write a promisary note for the full amount by the time ds was 2 months old. And that we would continue to make monthly payments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annelauer
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM
If I remember correctly, it was around $3,000 total, maybe a little less. That included prenatal, labor and delivery, non-stress testing (We went 43 weeks.) post-natal for baby and myself (for 6 weeks), labs, etc. Our insurance does cover homebirths, so it only wound up being $300-ish. Way cheaper than hospital co-pays! And the experience is priceless!
vcory
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Mine is $4,200 if paid by week 34. Plus there's a required birth class for first timers that's $150 and the assistant midwife is $300. So it's going to be $4,650 total. I'm in the Dallas area and that includes: prenatal, birth, postpartum and check-ups for the baby until 6 weeks.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Mine was $2800 & $100 for the birth pool rental. My doula was free because she was in training still and needed some births under her belt
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)