Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Self monitoring at home - BP / Glucose

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hi. I am wondering if any of you do home monitoring of your blood pressure and or blood glucose levels while pregnant?

If so, and you have any tips on getting started or on equipment choices, I am interested in your comments.  Thanks in advance!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers  Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers 

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I had high blood pressure issues and chose not to monitor outside of normal appointments until the last week.  (No sense in dwelling!)  Then I used an electric cuff monitor.

Do you have high BP?

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:41 AM

I did the third trimester of my pregnancy unassisted so I went to walgreens every few weeks to use the bp cuff (didn't want to spend the money on one) and used urine test strips from amazon to monitor glucose.

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this
conejoazul
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I had high blood pressure issues and chose not to monitor outside of normal appointments until the last week.  (No sense in dwelling!)  Then I used an electric cuff monitor.

Do you have high BP?

Fortunately, I´ve not had any BP issues to-date (pregnant or not) - am hoping to keep it that way! We haven´t fully-decided our prenatal care plan, so I am thinking ahead about some options I can do at home. I´ve noticed the cuff monitors are really affordable (never priced one until yesterday), pretty sure it will get used in the toy department long after this pregnancy has come and gone, lol.

conejoazul
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Great- thanks for that link.  I would be content looking at my levels through urine checks once a week or so.  Ordering today!

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I used these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EUAXZM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers  Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers 

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:37 PM

No problem! The brand was recommended to me by a student CPM.

Quoting conejoazul:

Great- thanks for that link.  I would be content looking at my levels through urine checks once a week or so.  Ordering today!

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I used these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EUAXZM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I would check my blood pressure at a store like Walgreens that had those blood pressure machines around the store.

GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Midwife check my sugar levels with a hand-held finger pricker used for diabetics.  MUCH nicer than the nasty drink! 

Terpsichore
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I had preecampsia last pregnancy. My mom gave me her auto cuff for the duration of my pregnancy. I generally monitor and record once a day - when I first wake up. 

Aslen
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Why monitor if there aren't issues?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN