Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

monsanto protection act EDIT with another link

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM
  • 34 Replies

How the Monsanto Protection Act snuck into law

A provison that protects the biotech giant from litigation passed Congress without many members knowing about it

Slipped into the Agricultural Appropriations Bill, which passed through Congress last week, was a small provision that’s a big deal for Monsanto and its opponents. The provision protects genetically modified seeds from litigation in the face of health risks and has thus been dubbed the “Monsanto Protection Act” by activists who oppose the biotech giant. President Barack Obama signed the spending bill, including the provision, into law on Tuesday

Since the act’s passing, more than 250,000 people have signed a petition opposing the provision and a rally, consisting largely of farmers organized by the Food Democracy Now network, protested outside the White House Wednesday. Not only has anger been directed at the Monsanto Protection Act’s content, but the way in which the provision was passed through Congress without appropriate review by the Agricultural or Judiciary Committees. The biotech rider instead was introduced anonymously as the larger bill progressed — little wonder food activists are accusing lobbyists and Congress members of backroom dealings.

The Food Democracy Now and the Center for Food are directing blame at the Senate Appropriations Committee and its chairman, Sen. Barbara Mikulski, D-Md. According to reports, many members of Congress were apparently unaware that the “Monsanto Protection Act” even existed within the spending bill, HR 933; they voted in order to avert a government shutdown.

“It sets a terrible precedent,” noted the International Business Times. “Though it will only remain in effect for six months until the government finds another way to fund its operations, the message it sends is that corporations can get around consumer safety protections if they get Congress on their side. Furthermore, it sets a precedent that suggests that court challenges are a privilege, not a right.”\

source

Edit: Found another article with more details http://www.infowars.com/obamas-signing-of-monsanto-protection-act-proves-he-will-betray-progressives-too/

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Ugh, that's terrible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Scary stuff!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sj3starz
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I read about this earlier. I had no idea it was going on, and it would have been something to follow, or take action against. :-(
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM

ARGH makes me so mad

jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM
=(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:08 PM

:o( 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Eliots_momma
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:14 PM
That makes my heart sad :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby4us09
by Rebecca on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:40 PM
That is too bad. It seems like it will be harder and harder to eat something that hasn't modified in one way or another. Where does that leave everyone else? Either grow your own or be subjected to their invasive measures?
Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:14 PM

isn't it?

Quoting jmaw89:

Scary stuff!!!

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm upset it was tacked onto an unrelated bill. Not a responsible way to address it IMO.

Quoting sj3starz:

I read about this earlier. I had no idea it was going on, and it would have been something to follow, or take action against. :-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)