Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Birth / Labor pool ... any experiences will be of interest :-)

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • If you used a pool specifically designed for birth, please share your thoughts on its design / shortcomings.
  • If you labored in a standard home tub / pool .... what depth did you find adequate?
  • If you delivered in a pool or tub, just curious if you ended up in a reclined position or squatting, etc?

I notice the inflatable pools vary in design - some with built in seats, strap supports , not really clear how "solid" the sides are once inflated.

(I am not due until November, and ideally will have a HB, but going through sticker shock at the cost of pools I am shopping online; renting in my area doesn´t appear to be an option and I am almost thinking a bathroom upgrade or hot tub would be a better investment, not that we would use the "hot tub" level of heating obviously) .

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers  Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers 

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I labored in an inflatable tub in the hospital. It was huge and I'm so glad because I had to float on my back totally stretched out during contractions. I don't know what I would've done if I couldn't stretch, I just HAD to.
The Depth was great- I was able to lay on my back or rock on all fours and the water covered me which helped with the floating feeling and pressure relief.
I was not allowed to birth in the tub, but I had the urge to birth on all fours when I was in, and I did end up doing it that way, just dry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eliots_momma
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
There was a large square tub in the hospital that I was at. I labored a lot on all fours bc ds was sunny side up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh yeah, it was rectangular and maybe 6 ft by 4 ft.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I have not used one yet but the one my midwife has is pretty deep and has handles on the top edge, she told me most moms like the reclined position but kneeling helped move some babies.
catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Labored in our large, deep jacuzzi tub at home.. shoulder deep and warm felt great! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had land births but know several moms who really liked the Aqua Doula which they wee able to rent from a midwife or doula. Plus it's heated so no worry about running out of hot water. I think you can also rent it online.

Birth Pool in a Box is another popular one.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:45 PM

good info!

JoeysApple
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I've included a photo of the tub my midwife had. I thought it was weird. We put lots of pillows and fluffy blankets all around and then I lined it with (3mm thick I believe) plastic and duct taped the plastic to the tub. It was pretty comfortable and I actually probably would not have liked the blow up tub. This tub was SOLID. I used the lip of it to help me up to a squatting position every contraction to push. It was so nice and I never worried about water spilling. It was also very deep water so I could be completely immersed. I loved it!

Rubbermaid Stock Tank 300gal

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

you need to be able to submerge your belly, body.  That is what takes the pressure off your back.  I need to be able to be on my hands and knees. I rented aquadoula for my first waterbirth and rented an inflatable one for my 2nd waterbirth.  I really liked the aquadoula.  I think I would have liked the 2nd one better if I had less water i it, the handles were nice on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN