Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

About had to pull out my fightin' gloves today!

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM
  • 16 Replies
3 moms liked this

Today I had an appt with my OB (24 wks).  While waiting in the room, a nurse comes in to ask me what a good time would be for my 28 wk labs (Glucose Tolerance).  I informed her I was planning on declining the glucose test, to which she replied "I don't think you can do that here.  You signed paperwork in the beginning that said you agree to all our practices policies and procedures.  But I'll go check with the head OB to see for sure".  I told her I would be speaking with the Dr about it.  She came back a little while later (after I was all worked up and irritated), and told me that she was wrong, and I CAN decline the test.  They just have to document it very well (I'm assuming for lawsuit reasons).  I was relieved not to have to fight with the Dr over my rights as a patient.  I was fuming in the appt thinking they were going to *try* and force me into this test.  She asked why I didn't want to have it done, and once I explained that I was low risk, 4th pregnancy, no prior history of GD or even warning signs, she was like "Oh, okay well that makes sense :)"

Oh, and on another note... super excited to say that at 24 wks, I've only gained 8lbs :) :)  I ususally gain about 33-35 lbs with my pregnancies, but I'm hoping to gain less this time since I've changed my diet even more :)  I guess we'll see!  Who knows though lol, maybe I'll just gain it all toward the end haha.

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
danichaos
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Awesome! Good for you mana
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this

If it weren't for his pitbull nurse, I'd still be a client of the OB who sectioned me. Her "knowledge" ran me off.

Glad it all worked out for you!

BaileysMom9
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Bad nurses happen unfortunately, huh!  Thankfully the nurse that I was dealing with (who I've seen several times now through this pregnancy) is very sweet.  I think I just caught her so off guard that she didn't know how to handle it.  She never did get rude with me, just told me what she thought the practices rules were (I'm assuming very few women ever question or refuse this test in their practice).  I was thankful she at least was decent with me.  I was just upset with thinking the practice itself was going to try and bully me into thinking it was NOT an option. 

I'm sorry you had such an awful nurse with your 1st pregnancy! 

Quoting GoodyBrook:

If it weren't for his pitbull nurse, I'd still be a client of the OB who sectioned me. Her "knowledge" ran me off.

Glad it all worked out for you!

OakesMama
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM

awesome. glad it wasn't an issue.  and have hope, I only gained 10 lbs my last pregnancy ( I only have 5-6 lb babies) and I typically gain 40. So it is possible, and I was eating A lot too! So good luck with that :)

BaileysMom9
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks :)  I typically don't have a problem losing the weight and getting back down to my normal of around 118, but I do think a lot of my pregnancy weight gain in the past was just over-indulgences and not eating with purpose :)  So hoping this time to gain a littl less *healthily of course* :) 

Quoting OakesMama:

awesome. glad it wasn't an issue.  and have hope, I only gained 10 lbs my last pregnancy ( I only have 5-6 lb babies) and I typically gain 40. So it is possible, and I was eating A lot too! So good luck with that :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I am thinking of declining mine too, though I have put on weight since my other kiddos, this is baby #5 ad I am not measuring huge baby looks perfect on size and I dont eat alot of carbs or sweets so.. 8lbs is a good gain..I need to gain some..I am just over 22weeks with o no gain as far as I can tell
catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Good for you standing your ground!! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

BaileysMom9
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I just don't see why we should treat our pregnancies like they are an illness.  I completely understand that things *can* go wrong, but with GD besides monitoring and eating a low GI, diabetic diet, there isn't much they do except freak moms out.  I think you should do what you feel is best, and I agree it seems like your pregnancy is going smoothly so far, so why take an innacurate test anyway??

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I am thinking of declining mine too, though I have put on weight since my other kiddos, this is baby #5 ad I am not measuring huge baby looks perfect on size and I dont eat alot of carbs or sweets so.. 8lbs is a good gain..I need to gain some..I am just over 22weeks with o no gain as far as I can tell

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

$$$ and liability.

Quoting BaileysMom9:

I just don't see why we should treat our pregnancies like they are an illness.  I completely understand that things *can* go wrong, but with GD besides monitoring and eating a low GI, diabetic diet, there isn't much they do except freak moms out.  I think you should do what you feel is best, and I agree it seems like your pregnancy is going smoothly so far, so why take an innacurate test anyway??

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM

They want to prevent moms from having HUGE babies their bodies can not deliver..my SIL has had GD both times, both times she didnt do anything about it and never tested at home and ate what she wanted...she ended up with babies close to 10 lbs and large heads and shoulders..and 2 csections...(though I think those were preventable)

Quoting BaileysMom9:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)