Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

My experience, so far with cloth diapering with pictures

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 50 Replies
2 moms liked this

Initial review of Ebay's China diaper, Shine Baby. I bought ten pocket diapers, with ten microfiber inserts for $38.60 and free shipping. They look solid. The fabric doesn't feel "plasticy" like I thought it would. I washed them cold and no detergent, then warm with All Free, then cold no detergent. I dried the covers and inserts on medium heat for about 20 minutes. They were almost completely dry. I air dried the covers and ran the inserts for another hour. But, my dryer is odd about drying individual or smaller loads, so I added the covers back into the dryer and dried on medium for another thirty minutes. They all dried great. No delamination. With what I had heard, I almost expected them to fall apart after the first wash! The inserts kind of "fluffed up" a little bit, which was kind of interesting. I have two sons, that are both in size four Parent's Choice disposal diapers. I stuffed two diapers with two inserts, for this first attempt, because it was a night time wear. First, I placed a diaper on my two year old. He thought I was odd and watched me suspiciously. He is 26 pounds and 35 inches tall, so a string bean. I left the rise at the longest setting and I snapped the waist in to the next to smallest setting, without the tabs touching or crossing over. Second, I tackled a wiggly eight month old. He is twenty one pounds and twenty six inches tall, quite the chunk. Go boobies! Anyway. I had decided to try this on the medium setting for the rise. It fit snuggly and I ended up fastening the waist on the second widest setting, because he is quite big. We had no waking up from leaking. We had no waking up from either of them feeling wet (though the two year old is getting to the point he wakes up dry more frequently than not) and my eight month old is a heavy wetter, even during the day! I waited about thirty minutes to change them after we all woke up and played around, to make sure the two year old peed and to see if it would hold the eight month old's morning pee, which has been known to make the Walmart posies leak! We had no leakage, no red marks around the legs. On the eight month old, there was a little bit of an elastic mark, so I put the next diaper on the full rise setting. I *gross alert* was curious what the inside of the pocket felt like against their skin with the amount of urine they had each deposited. So, I felt it. And it was slightly damp- both of them. The two year old and wet both of the inserts, but they were not completely soaked. The edges were just damp. The eight month old on the other hand, the inserts were heavy and there was not a dry spot or even slightly damp spot on either insert! And the diaper held up to the task! So far, so good! 

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conejoazul
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad to hear you are off to a good start!  I love our cloth diapers.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
China diapers are hit or miss even from the same company. I love kawaii and alvas.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for sharing.. :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

louzannalady
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:31 AM

My Kawaii HD2's are on their way! : ) They will be here by Wednesday! : ) I can't wait!!! : ) 

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

China diapers are hit or miss even from the same company. I love kawaii and alvas.

headingsouth13
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:32 AM

i bought mine from http://www.cottonbabies.com/

louzannalady
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Cottonbabies has some great deals! : ) And I use them to research the products. They have great info! : ) I also have Kawaiis coming from http://www.theluvyourbaby.com/They had a screaming deal and I got 12 Kawaii Heavy Duty 2 for $5.06 each with two full sized inserts and free shipping! : ) I will be buying prefolds next and I will turn into a few into fitteds to use with covers. That way, I can use them for a lot longer and they can take abuse! Lol! : ) I haven't decided on a cover yet. I want something from the US or Canada for $15 or less, that is one size. I am liking Wolbybug, but they are made in China, though they are a US originating company. And I like Best Bottom, but they are at the top end of my budget per diaper. I am still researching. Any ideas, I would love to hear them!!! : ) Oh and I am all over diaperswappers! : ) 

Quoting headingsouth13:

littlelambe2
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Sounds great! You may have to change your detergent, though. All free and clear does leave residue. You won't notice for several months. I didn't notice until almost a year. Only all free that doesn't is the military grade stuff. I switched to Charlie's soap and like that much better. 

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Cute pictures :)

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I love their products! I mostly buy wahm diapers now.

Quoting headingsouth13:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM

YEP thats the site I use to order kawaiis..Have you tried GoGreen champs? I love them!

Quoting louzannalady:

Cottonbabies has some great deals! : ) And I use them to research the products. They have great info! : ) I also have Kawaiis coming from http://www.theluvyourbaby.com/They had a screaming deal and I got 12 Kawaii Heavy Duty 2 for $5.06 each with two full sized inserts and free shipping! : ) I will be buying prefolds next and I will turn into a few into fitteds to use with covers. That way, I can use them for a lot longer and they can take abuse! Lol! : ) I haven't decided on a cover yet. I want something from the US or Canada for $15 or less, that is one size. I am liking Wolbybug, but they are made in China, though they are a US originating company. And I like Best Bottom, but they are at the top end of my budget per diaper. I am still researching. Any ideas, I would love to hear them!!! : ) Oh and I am all over diaperswappers! : ) 

Quoting headingsouth13:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)