Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Midwives under attack? or are they?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 29 Replies

NC is not a good place for midwives..even CNM have issues with licensure and its been pretty scary.  WHen this first came out I was very upset for this woma being persecuted

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/progressive-parenting/2013/03/29/the-witch-hunt-lives-onmidwifery-the-myth-of-free

THEN I got to researching and read the moms story...the REAL birth story..now I am appalled and I agree this woman nshould be in jail.  Its people like this that ruin homebirths and midwives reps for everyone

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3A5oNxFg7XfqsJ%3Aaverysbirthstory.blogspot.com%2F+&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Thoughts?

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I will have to read these when im not mobile. My opinion in general....midwifery is under attack, however im sure there are also cases where a midwife should not be practicing. My midwife lost her license, and imo it was unfair. There there was another midwife that almost did as well that i know of but donf personally know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Yeah I agree its under attack, but using this woman as a way of proving it SIGH yeah not a good thing.  My midwife had to fight to get her license back last year too.

Quoting Precious333:

I will have to read these when im not mobile. My opinion in general....midwifery is under attack, however im sure there are also cases where a midwife should not be practicing. My midwife lost her license, and imo it was unfair. There there was another midwife that almost did as well that i know of but donf personally know.

lifeforchrist
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM

that is horrific! that makes me so sad

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Appalling!
isaacsmommy68
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM
I work for cleveland clinic and we have tons of great midwives. My doc relys on them. They are wonderful. Ohio has great birthing care, at least in northeast ohio.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I won't go to a CNM who delivers with doctors honestly, I have had bad experience with them. GUess that makes me biased but so many are MEDwives

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

I work for cleveland clinic and we have tons of great midwives. My doc relys on them. They are wonderful. Ohio has great birthing care, at least in northeast ohio.

FebPenguins
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I didn't read your articles, but I know when a local midwife was arrested, I was concerned, turns out she was doing many things 'not by the book' ~ circumcision which is considered a medical procedure, with out a license. Just follow the law.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Well I am hearing that they are using a personhood law against this mdiwife and that the mom refused to transfer multiple times during her labor..so who knows what the true story is.  I guess the fear is that if this "midwife" is persecuted then other midwives will be for babies deaths though OBs rarely are.

MY thing is shes not even a CPM as far as I can tell..and even CPM are not legal in NC.

Quoting FebPenguins:

I didn't read your articles, but I know when a local midwife was arrested, I was concerned, turns out she was doing many things 'not by the book' ~ circumcision which is considered a medical procedure, with out a license. Just follow the law.

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Yeah I saw a CNM practice with baby #1 and some of them were great (one was a former homebirth midwife) and others were very medical.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I won't go to a CNM who delivers with doctors honestly, I have had bad experience with them. GUess that makes me biased but so many are MEDwives

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:16 PM

yikes!

Unfortunately it seems like stories about lack of ethics etc. from homebirth midwives are seen a lot more in the media than ones about doctors.

Quoting FebPenguins:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)