Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

"allergic to breastmilk"

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM
  • 24 Replies

I've heard a couple of moms talk about this lately and say they had to switch to formula. Can this happen? Or is it just a misdiagnosed food sensitivity or something?

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsix
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I have never heard of being allergic to breastmilk. The baby could be having a problem with something mom has eaten but,other than that ...not to my knowledge.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM
4 moms liked this
Pretty much every person who says that almost certainly just had a baby with a food sensitivity and or needed to manage an oversupply.

There is a super rare condition called galactosemia (sp??) where a baby actually can't digest lactose and since there's no way to make breastmilk lactose free, that's a case where formula is truly needed and life-saving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileysMom9
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:13 AM
4 moms liked this

I think that statement is ridiculous IMO.  I honestly, truly believe that a mother's milk is perfectly formulated for baby EVERY time, and it's simply a matter of us changing our diets if baby is having issues.  There are so many food triggers that can cause reflux, colic, and other adverse reactions in breastfed babies, and they can be so easily eliminated (I went through this with my oldest after realizing she had a dairy and egg allergy at 6 months).

I think the true problem is laziness and unwillingness to find the underlying cause.  It's easier to just give up and give them a bottle, right?  And so many pedi's won't push to keep a baby breastfed.  It's easier to say baby is allergic and give up. 

BaileysMom9
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Crazy!  I have never heard of that!  So I guess 99% of the time mama's milk is perfect ;)

Quoting larissalarie:

Pretty much every person who says that almost certainly just had a baby with a food sensitivity and or needed to manage an oversupply.

There is a super rare condition called galactosemia (sp??) where a baby actually can't digest lactose and since there's no way to make breastmilk lactose free, that's a case where formula is truly needed and life-saving.

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
My SIL said this about her first but finding a formula was difficult so maybe she really was. Her daughter is fine with lactose now and doesn't have any food allergies so I'm not sure what in it she would have been allergic to. I guess she could have outgrown it. But she just had another baby and wouldn't even try to BF him in fear of the same reason.

I think it is more commonly used as an excuse to stop BFing that others probably won't question.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM
ONLY true allergy is called galactosemia, ad they would need to be on special formula with NO dairy NO soy. They would need Neocate formula, no other options. Otherwise its a food sensitivity that was misdiagnosed.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I do have a friend whose child has a metablic issue and BM was dangerous for him and another friend whose son is bad off enough to need a tube now at age 9..both could not BF though they tried and it made baby worse even on the diets

tyrelsmom
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd bet it's usually a food sensitivity, but it can be really difficult to deal with.
My second had food sensitivities and reflux, and I had oversupply and overactive letdown. I spent his 1st 3 weeks watching him puke up about everything he ate, despite trying every trick in the book and going on an elimination diet. I was also dealing with a spinal migraine (he was a c-section baby). At 3 weeks he was 6 lbs 3 oz. He was born at 7 lbs 8. Something had to be done, so I switched to exclusively pumping. He did so much better, he started actually gaining slowly. However, he never nursed again. I tried later on, hoping he'd do better a little older, but he absolutely would not take it. And I don't pump the greatest, so we only lasted until 4 months.
And then I ended up feeding him homemade raw goat's milk formula because commercial formula all came right back up and the soy caused rashes(not surprising as dairy and soy were 2 of his triggers when I was pumping). Far from ideal, but he's 5 and healthy now.

It can be really tough watching your child NOT thrive, and we all have different breaking points. I think it's really best to reserve our criticism and judgement.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I think this
just a misdiagnosed food sensitivity or something

but I heard that it could happen in VERY VERY rare cases so probably just misdiagnosed

Roo1234
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM

It means there was something in the mom's diet that the child was sensitive to...ex.  Two of my sons could not tolerate/digest dairy or soy proteins.  I had to go on a strict diet that contained no dairy or soy products.  It was very hard, but it was either that, or prescription formula.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)