Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How many friends have you lost for offering natural-minded advice?

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:38 AM
  • 26 Replies
Awhile back I had a friend posted on fb that she was so upset about having to have her son circumsized. I tried to very gently tell her that she doesn't have to and she should look up info about it before deciding since it was something she could never undo. Her and another mutual friend got SUPER SUPER pissed and were so rude to me that I just deleted them. They were ganging up on me and one of their friends that I never met was super bashing me. So yeah. I decided I didn't need friends like that.

Well apparently they are still mad about it months later because I commented on another mutual friend's post and they started bashing me again so I might lose another friend or two over this all. Obviously they are friends I don't need if they will treat me like that when all I ever did was try to help. I gave her my Moby and when she told me she was determined to breastfeed I told her to call me day or night and I would help her.

Btw she formula feeds now. Sigh.

I just needed a safe place to vent so I don't get all upset and cry over this stupid situation again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM
I'm sorry that happened to you :(

I've never lost any friends over advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM
All people involved are/were only friends because we met at work. Honestly we have little in common. I was mostly hurt because one of the girls seemed so very excited about breastfeeding and babywearing so I really wanted to help. I also know that she has lots of friends who have babies and are young like her. They all offer terrible advice and none breastfeed so I knew I would be fighting an uphill battle when helping her.

People just get so uptight when you offer parenting advice, even when they reach out first.

Quoting larissalarie:

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Yep, they do, sucks that people are so insecure in their parenting
.I'm pretty cautious with my advice giving on fb. Between that and only having real friends as friends (and a couple of cm friends), that's probably why I've not had issues.

Quoting MissSarah04:

All people involved are/were only friends because we met at work. Honestly we have little in common. I was mostly hurt because one of the girls seemed so very excited about breastfeeding and babywearing so I really wanted to help. I also know that she has lots of friends who have babies and are young like her. They all offer terrible advice and none breastfeed so I knew I would be fighting an uphill battle when helping her.

People just get so uptight when you offer parenting advice, even when they reach out first.

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:30 AM

*hug* I COMPLETELY understand! I just got off the phone with my sister... And... You know that scene, in the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, when they slam the phone on the table and rant... That is what I want to do, now. All I did is MENTION my excitement of the arrive and recent use of my cloth diapers... Then, it turned into a lecture on how I will NEVER convince her to use cloth diapers and ya-ya-ya-da... Like my world revolves around her or something... Why was SHE the first person I called to give my new number?! Why did I call her AT ALL?! Lol! 

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I'd ask for my Moby back. 

:)

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow. I read your post. I would feel so bad if someone did that to me. Especially family. I freaking adore cloth diapers and sometimes my enthusiasm is a little much but my family all just smiles and nods. Lol.

Quoting louzannalady:

*hug* I COMPLETELY understand! I just got off the phone with my sister... And... You know that scene, in the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, when they slam the phone on the table and rant... That is what I want to do, now. All I did is MENTION my excitement of the arrive and recent use of my cloth diapers... Then, it turned into a lecture on how I will NEVER convince her to use cloth diapers and ya-ya-ya-da... Like my world revolves around her or something... Why was SHE the first person I called to give my new number?! Why did I call her AT ALL?! Lol! 

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Lol it crossed my mind. I am sure she has never used it and that was the first thing I ever wore my baby in. I just gave it away because I wanted to help and knew I would likely never use it again because I fell in love with woven wraps.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I'd ask for my Moby back. 

:)

louzannalady
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I WISH it was just cloth diapers! I invited her down for my last birth and she told me that she would not be willing to be in the house if I birthed at home, she would stay in a hotel... And just... I could write a book about the things she twists to be about her or whatever... I love her, but as much of a mess as I am... She is just as much in her own way! Lol! I feel ya! Just know that you are not alone and that you are AMAZING for reading and researching and making the absolute BEST choices for your children! Their generation and the generations to follow will benefit by the choices you are making today, Momma! *hug* 

Quoting MissSarah04:

Wow. I read your post. I would feel so bad if someone did that to me. Especially family. I freaking adore cloth diapers and sometimes my enthusiasm is a little much but my family all just smiles and nods. Lol.

Quoting louzannalady:

littlelambe2
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:53 AM

None. But I've gotten a lot of odd looks. Lol. But then again, I can count the number of friends I have on one hand :) works for me, cause I hate drama. 

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Yeah I really don't have many actual friends. I just can't stand drama and most of my friends have been family or coworkers. The family I love but the coworkers often drive me crazy. I swear call centers are drama breeding grounds. There have been rumors of my bf (who works there too) sleeping with two people there. I know they were lies b/c my bf and I carpool, work the same shift, and are rarely apart. Also the accusations were stupid and physically impossible since I wad with my bf at the times he was supposedly sleeping with these people.

I will never understand the fun in starting drama.

Quoting littlelambe2:

None. But I've gotten a lot of odd looks. Lol. But then again, I can count the number of friends I have on one hand :) works for me, cause I hate drama. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)