Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Bullied by the OB

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 34 Replies

I hate this.  I had such a wonderful experience with my CNM I went to for my last pregnancy.  Now I'm with an OB practice (no homebirth or CNM's in this area), and I'm just frustrated.  First they tried making me feel bad about not getting the flu shot, which didn't work because I am 100% against it.  And now it's all about the Glucose Tolerance test.  I posted a few days back that I had declined it, and they were very wary of my decision.  Now today I get a call from a nurse (who my OB had apparently spoken with) who tries to convince me to change my mind, saying that GD is very dangerous if left untreated and there are lots of women who have been negative with their previous pregnancies and then come up positive.  While I understand that can be true, the overall risk of GD is 4% and I don't carry any risk factors.  I have no family history of Diabetes, I am normal weight, 3 previous normal, healthy pregnancies and babies all about 7 1/2 lbs, etc...  I also eat a very balanced diet (avoiding sugar and simple carbs, high protein, low to moderate complex carbs).   

It just frustrates the hell out of me that they are now using fear tactics to get me to comply to their policies and tests.  I was clear about declining it at my last visit, and now they're going to get pushy.  The nurse informed me that my Dr would be having a talk with me at my next visit bc she feels it's very important and wants me to know the risks (which I'm well aware of).  She ended the phone call with "we really hope you reconsider and do the test). 

At this point, I'm just feeling defeated and bullied.  Not sure if I should give in and at least do the non-challenge blood test or finger pricks or if I should stick to my guns.  I don't want to be pushed over, and this is the first time I've been willing to take a stand against dr's.  I've gotten resistance with every decision in this pregnancy from my OB. 

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Terpsichore
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM
3 moms liked this

What is the cure for gestational diabetes? Giving birth? Pretty sure that's inevitable. What treatments are there? Eating a healthy diet and exercising? Same goes for pregnancies without GD. I have declined GD testing twice so far. Every time I decline something they question me about it. They debate my answers. I feel like saying, "You're the health professional. Go educate yourself why people would deny it." I feel your pain but have no advice.

issoaisavi5
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Why don't you find a different OB, one that you like and feel comfortable with?

AlwaysKISA
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
If it would get them off my back, i'd probably just do it. It's not going to hurt anything. But that's just me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileysMom9
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Because this is the only OB practice in our area (or within 2 hrs).  It's a group practice.  The last dr I saw was very sweet and really didn't say much about me declining the test, but two of the other OB's are "very concerned" with my decision. 

Quoting issoaisavi5:

Why don't you find a different OB, one that you like and feel comfortable with?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:57 PM
2 moms liked this
First if the doctor feels its so important the DOCTOR should call you not the nurse. Sounds like you and this OB are not seeing eye to eye on anything, this worries me or your birth
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah it could, its not good for mom or baby ffor sugar to spike the way it does on that crap, PLUS where does it stop...with forced monitoring, epidurals, csection? SO they will get offher back?

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

If it would get them off my back, i'd probably just do it. It's not going to hurt anything. But that's just me.

DoulaAli
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:00 PM

If you give in on this it will only be the beginning. Where are you?

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM
If you don't mind pricking your finger 4 times a day for two weeks, let them know you are willing to do that. If not I would tell them to back off and that they don't need to harass you for making an informed decision.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Stand strong, Mama. More women need to be willing to stand up against unnecessary procedures. Nothing will get better if we don't.

larissalarie
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM
I definitely understand your frustration, just stay strong and keep politely declining.

It might help you feel less "bullied" to look at things from their side- If by some long shot you do have GD and you have complications from it...you can sue them and they'll be at risk of being liable. Even if they can show that they warned you repeatedly ans you still declined, there is still some risk of liability to them if you have a theoretically preventable complication from not doing this test. If they let it go easily, they are leaving their asses out there that much more for a lawsuit.

So try to take the emotions outta it and not think this is grade school with a "bully", but rather them trying to "lawsuit proof" themselves in this day and age of people suing doctors at any opportunity :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN