Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Worst Advice

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM
  • 68 Replies

What is the worst advice you have ever gotten?  Did hearing the advice want you to become more natural?

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I have to admit when some one tells me I shouldn't do something it does make me want to do it then.  My husbands grandmother told me to feed rice cereal to my few days old infant years ago.  Because of her pushing me to do that it made me just want to breastfeed her longer.

rachelrothchild
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Feeding baby formula or rice cereal.  Both are really bad IMO.

Quoting Sarah725:

I have to admit when some one tells me I shouldn't do something it does make me want to do it then.  My husbands grandmother told me to feed rice cereal to my few days old infant years ago.  Because of her pushing me to do that it made me just want to breastfeed her longer.

JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this
That my still breastfeeding 9month old (he's 3years now) needed to be totally weaned by one and should be getting one JAR of meat a day, in addition to fruits and veggies to "ensure proper nutrition". We never saw that ped again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM

She wanted me to give her breast milk during the day but at night feed her formula with rice cereal.  She said that would be best.

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Feeding baby formula or rice cereal.  Both are really bad IMO.

Quoting Sarah725:

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM

The Pedi at birth told us to retract DS's forskin daily.  We changed pediatrician's offices as soon as we checked out.

The LC at birth told me not to bother saving for DS's college fund.  She said instead we should save our money for orthodontia, as he was going to have terrible teeth.  (He's now 2 and has wonderful teeth.  I'd like to slap that B*%&h!)

Peera
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:42 PM

People told me to give him rice cereal to make him sleep. My own mother told me to give him a peppermint stick when he was 3 months old because he was whining a little bit, and a few months later tried to make me add brown sugar to his squash "because he would like it". Bitch, he likes it just fine WITHOUT sugar, but thank you for explaining some of MY food issues.

Oh, and my grandmother tried to ORDER me to circumcise. Not going to happen, lady. 

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers

mjrex87
by Mindy on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM

"Your baby has lost too much weight, you need to give her formula."

"Put cereal in her bottle to prevent reflux" (Aside from the obvious terrible advice, she's not bottle-fed...SMH)

"It won't hurt her to let her cry for a little while"

This one wasn't said to me, but my husband's co-worker said his aunt used to say that if a baby hadn't fallen off the bed by age one, you need to push him/her off so they'll learn boundaries. Wow.

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Cry it out. My mom is also a huge proponent of playpens for some reason.

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Those jarred meats are nasty!

Quoting JMmama:

That my still breastfeeding 9month old (he's 3years now) needed to be totally weaned by one and should be getting one JAR of meat a day, in addition to fruits and veggies to "ensure proper nutrition". We never saw that ped again.

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Oh we got info from a ped's office once that said baby should be weaned to cow's milk at 12 months and breastfeeding beyond that was spoiling baby's appetite for solid foods. They also told me he HAD to have fluoride supplements or his teeth would rot (they hadn't even erupted yet).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)