Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Question For You Ladies (sorry long)

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM
  • 16 Replies

I have a question for you all about inducing labor without using pitocin or other "traditional" medicines.

A little history, My first dd was born in a hospital completely med free, with a midwife. It was amazing!

My second dd in another state I had a bad experience with the only midwifes in the area and switched to an ob, whom I allowed to talk me into inducing a week early. Everything was okay, except I didnt handle the pitocin well at all and ended up with an epidural after they threatened a c-section because I ended up hyperventilating. Not ideal but it was still an okay experience. One that I allowed to happen and realized I jsut needed to stick by my guns and not be talked into an induction.

My third baby and first son I had an amazing midwife (in yet another state!) and I really liked the birthing center everything was going great, they agreed to just let me be unless I went past 41 weeks then they would induce, which I was fine with. But the day after he was due I went in for my appt and found out that the babys heart had stopped beating sometime during the night. I decided to be induced later that day and they started with cervadil (which after researching it later I was shocked that they used it!) and after starting labor just enough to be in labor but not progress for almost 20 hours we decided it was time to start the pitocin. Since The baby had already passed they put me on morphine about 10 hours in and once they started the pit it happened just like I knew it would, I started feeling like I was losing control and just could not handle the pain and feeling like it was all for nothing because my body fought it instead of working with it. So once again I got the epidural. Finally gave birth to him 27 hours after they started the induction process. (both my girls were 12 hours almost to the minute).

After losing another baby in July at 13 weeks I am now 11 weeks pregnant again and I know because of my history I am a liability and the entire office I am going ot said that I will be induced, probably at 37 weeks. Which I know is not ideal but at this point if it gets my baby here safe and sound then I am okay with that. But what I do NOT want is to be induced with pitocin again. I am really trying to find other ways to start induction without using drugs, like natural herbs, sex, walking, stripping membranes.... and was really looking for advice or suggestions that you all had. Ultimately I would really like to have a water birth and I cant do that if I am induced with pit.

Please dont say anything about staying home, or not allowing them to induce me, I will not be staying home, I was not comfortable with that before I lost my son and I will not risk me or the baby. I agree with being induced, I jsut want to try other methods before agreeing to pit. So if you dont have advice or suggestions I really dont want to hear anything about why I am making the wrong or bad decisions. For me this is right and something I have spent a lot of time thinking about and agonizing over.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cadditalbrat
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this
i'm so sorry :( i have no idea other then walking, going up and down stairs, hanging clothes on a line one piece at a time so you have to bend over a lot (that's how I started labor with my oldest), sex LOTS OF SEX, crawl around on the floor (something my mom did while pregnant and trying to jumpstart labor), people told me to eat spicy stuff... Um i'm sure you could look up other ways. I really hope everything goes perfectly for you this time around and that you and baby are both happy and healthy afterwards.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I am sorry for your loss. I have two angels.  One I lost at 18 weeks for genetic reasons and a Mc at 13 weeks just this past December.  I know some of the mama's here do not recommend it, but  a little bit (like a tablespoon) of castor oil got my labor going.  My midwife and I had tried exercise, sex, spicy foods, and a few other things. I was in prodomal labor for like 14 days at that point though and the stress was starting to get to my dd and me so if she wasn't there by Monday they were going to induce before it got bad for her. 

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Acupuncture. Most of the other methods such as walking, sex, etc only work if you are right on the verge of labor anyway.

One thing I would avoid personally is having your water broken. There's an increased risk of infection and you'll be "put on the clock" and will have to deliver the baby within (usually) 12-24 hours or have a c-section.

hapababies
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM
I am very sorry about your little boy.
I have been induced twice, once for no good reason and the other for medical reasons. I did not have pitocin either time, my membranes were stripped and my water was broken. My second son had not dropped enough to break the water at first, so I also had cervidil, sat a hour on a birthing ball, walked around, and finally he dropped so they could break my water. My labors go incredibly fast after my water is broken, less than 6 hours for each boy. But like Mrs. Salz said, once your water breaks you are on a 24 hour timer to get the baby out.
Castor oil is usually not recommended because it has risks. One being in labor and having the worst diarrhea of your life (that happened to my friend) or that it can cause your baby to pass meconium in utero.
Some natural things you could do to have your body more accepting of labor would be going to a massage therapist, chiropractor, and acupuncturist. If you do a group search in here, I'm sure you could find a few birth stories of moms who went into labor after visiting their practitioner.
Also, have you started drinking red raspberry leaf tea? That will help your uterus get in good shape to help work more efficiently during labor.
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newwifenmom
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Sorry about your loss.

I agree with PPs, also acupressure, nipple stimulation,and some herbs such as black and blue cohosh, I suggest talking to an herbalist before using them though.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:00 PM
You could try a birthing ball. It won't make you go into labor but it can get baby in a good position for birth.
Brandy85412
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Did they ever say why you lost the babies? I was in the Janurary baby group and have kinda been folowing your story. Happy to hear your are pg. I pray everything goes well.

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM

my aunt took kohosh and it made her labor kick in early, go super fast and hard. I would definalty talk to someone about that one first becasue she said it was crazy. 

Quoting newwifenmom:

Sorry about your loss.

I agree with PPs, also acupressure, nipple stimulation,and some herbs such as black and blue cohosh, I suggest talking to an herbalist before using them though.

Ladybugmama86
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I am very sorry for your losses!

I tried castor oil with one of my babies and it was terrible! I got the worse stomach cramps and then was consipated for 3 days until I took a stool softener! But my sister swears by it.

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

I am sorry for your loss. I have two angels.  One I lost at 18 weeks for genetic reasons and a Mc at 13 weeks just this past December.  I know some of the mama's here do not recommend it, but  a little bit (like a tablespoon) of castor oil got my labor going.  My midwife and I had tried exercise, sex, spicy foods, and a few other things. I was in prodomal labor for like 14 days at that point though and the stress was starting to get to my dd and me so if she wasn't there by Monday they were going to induce before it got bad for her. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Ladybugmama86
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Acupuncture scares me! I hate needles!

My water breaking was the one thing that always sent me into active labor, except with my oldest when my water broke and thats how I realized I was in labor, with my two inductions once they broke my water the baby was out within an hour... But Its going to be a last resort because they do tend to want to rush you along after that.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Acupuncture. Most of the other methods such as walking, sex, etc only work if you are right on the verge of labor anyway.

One thing I would avoid personally is having your water broken. There's an increased risk of infection and you'll be "put on the clock" and will have to deliver the baby within (usually) 12-24 hours or have a c-section.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN