Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Well-Child appointments: Do they REALLY have to examine his testicles every visit?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM
  • 53 Replies

I didn't even think about it with DS1 when at every well-child check-up the CPNP would pull of his diaper and view his boy bits from different angles while also giving them a quick feel.  It was always quite professional and never a cause for concern.

Fast-forward nearly two years. 

With DS2, I was immediately bothered by the genital exam at his first post partum check.  It's the same practitioner, and I still really like her.  It just seemed so personally invasive!

We've chosen not to bother with every well-child check (why pay over $200 for them to tell us our child is healthy and growing great?!), but I'm curious what will happen when we do go back and I tell her we don't want her to do the genital exam unless we notice a problem and bring it to her attention. 

Has anyone refused the genital exam for your son at well-child appointments?  How did it go over with your practitioner?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I refused it with my daughter after age two. I didn't see the reason why they needed to.  And my daughter wasn't comfortable with strangers looking at her diaper area.  

tyrelsmom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:52 PM
I only remember him doing it at the first one. I figured to make sure they had both dropped? My youngest son is 5, though, I may be forgetting things, lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
XMaybebabyX
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm so afraid to refuse it bc then will they think abuse? How did you refuse it? I want to refuse it for both of my kids

Quoting Mommy2justone:

I refused it with my daughter after age two. I didn't see the reason why they needed to.  And my daughter wasn't comfortable with strangers looking at her diaper area.  

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM

It bothers me and I find it very invasive. We don't do well visits anymore but if we do in the future, I'll probably decline it.

I'm also concerned about forced retraction when their hands are in that area.

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Plus once the testicles descend, it's not like they're going to somehow ascend again, are they?

IansMommy2012
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM
My pedi checked it ONCE to make sure his circ was healing fine. Never touched the diaper again unless I asked about a rash or other prob
Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I just told the doctor that I wasn't comfortable with it. They didn't say anything other than, okay.

Quoting XMaybebabyX:

I'm so afraid to refuse it bc then will they think abuse? How did you refuse it? I want to refuse it for both of my kids

Quoting Mommy2justone:

MamaTwinkleA
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM
My doc does check everytime. He is quick and professional and ds isn't quite 2. I think he checks on ds because when dh testicles desenced it didnt seal and is making sure ds doesnt have the same problem? Not sure honestly but I dont plan on allowing the checks after 2 anyway.

Eta. It was an inguinal hernia. I couldn't remember the name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tuckermum
by Crysta on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM
The doctor checked ds he has hydrocele. We had to go get an ultrasound on his testicles to make sure that's what it was I'm pretty sure our doc will be checking them everytime to see if the problems going to fix itself or not. We would have never known he didn't cry about them and they look normal. I don't see it as invasive. Id like the doc to make sure everything is going good. She is professional about it so I'm not going to worry.
paknari
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM
2 moms liked this
I have to ask? Why does it bother you? It's an exam. They aren't playing with it right? I get if you are paying money why you would skip them. They are free for me so I go to them all. I would like to catch anything early of she does have an issue though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)