Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Diarrhea

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 10 Replies
My 21 month old has had diarrhea (almost water like but brown) about 5 times since Tuesday night. She threw up twice and had a fever but the fever is gone and she hasn't puked since Tuesday night. She is now pooping for the 5th time and I'm wondering of there is anything natural I can do for her to help. She has pretty much only had breast milk since Tuesday night.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM
If she's not dehydrated, It's best to let it run it's course. That's part of how her body is ridding itself of the virus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HeatherD1027
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Yeah, I figured. I just wanted to help her somehow. I know she's not dehydrated.

Quoting larissalarie:

If she's not dehydrated, It's best to let it run it's course. That's part of how her body is ridding itself of the virus.

larissalarie
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Then the best help is to let her body do it's thing! Just like medicating a fever prolongs illness, stopping the diarrhea would hinder her body from being able to rid itself of the virus :)

Quoting HeatherD1027:

Yeah, I figured. I just wanted to help her somehow. I know she's not dehydrated.

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HeatherD1027
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm still kind of new to natural living and it gets hard when everyone (mom and husband) think I should medicate her. Especially the fever. It only got up to 101 for not even 24 hours and my mom kept asking if I was going to give her anything. NO! I'm not!
Should I try to get her to eat? She had some applesauce for breakfast but nothing since. She doesn't seem to want anything and I'm not sure what to offer.

Quoting larissalarie:

Then the best help is to let her body do it's thing! Just like medicating a fever prolongs illness, stopping the diarrhea would hinder her body from being able to rid itself of the virus :)

Quoting HeatherD1027:

Quoting larissalarie:

Raindropsnroses
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Poor little thing. Hope she gets to feeling better soon. We are on round two with this nasty bug. It lasted 10 days with my 4 year old last time! We fed the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast) until it seemed to be coming to an end. And then added probiotics to reintroduce the good bacteria and help their little bellies get back on track. You can buy probiotics just about anywhere. But my little guys love yogurt, so we just gave them LOTS of it (easier on the budget too). Main thing is to make sure you keep her hydrated. Hope that helps and little...

HeatherD1027
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Thanks :). Sorry to hear about your little ones :( she is eating toast now. She never wants toast, so this is kinda weird. I guess she knows what she needs. We have some yogurt so I will see if she will eat some later. Does it matter what kind?

Quoting Raindropsnroses:

Poor little thing. Hope she gets to feeling better soon. We are on round two with this nasty bug. It lasted 10 days with my 4 year old last time! We fed the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast) until it seemed to be coming to an end. And then added probiotics to reintroduce the good bacteria and help their little bellies get back on track. You can buy probiotics just about anywhere. But my little guys love yogurt, so we just gave them LOTS of it (easier on the budget too). Main thing is to make sure you keep her hydrated. Hope that helps and little...

larissalarie
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM
I wouldn't push her to eat, but I wouldn't prevent it either if/when she wants to eat.
Try to keep it bland & easy on the tummy, but if she really wants something, let her have it.

Quoting HeatherD1027:

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm still kind of new to natural living and it gets hard when everyone (mom and husband) think I should medicate her. Especially the fever. It only got up to 101 for not even 24 hours and my mom kept asking if I was going to give her anything. NO! I'm not!

Should I try to get her to eat? She had some applesauce for breakfast but nothing since. She doesn't seem to want anything and I'm not sure what to offer.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting HeatherD1027:

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raindropsnroses
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Oh good. The concept of BRAT is all bland foods trying to keep the proper balance in the belly. Any yogurt is good : ) Keep feeling better! Good Luck : )

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Coconut water is very good for dehydration. I always keep it on hand. 

HeatherD1027
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Well she was getting better yesterday. Her poop was getting thicker and she didn't vomit all day. This morning she woke up with a diarrhea diaper and vomited 4 times in an hour. My poor baby :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN