Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Checking my own cervix?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 10 Replies

I was considering checking my own cervix for dilation, ripeness... etc.

Have any of you ever done this?  Tips? Advice?  What am I looking for / feeling around for?

I will do my Bing research, but just wanted some real life examples.

:)

CafeMom Tickers

---------------------------------

Mother Nurture Blog

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM
3 moms liked this
I suggest not doing that. It won't tell you anything but could give you false hope that you'll go into labor soon, or false anxiety that you won't go into labor ever. Plus you could introduce infection and that's just no good.

Dilation means nothing. Self checks and checks by your practitioner mean nothing and only carry risks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I second the opinion above.  Why would you want to check your cervix?  The info you (or your practitioner) gets means absolutely zero when it comes to telling when your baby will arrive.  They do give the practitioner something to bill you for, however!  :)

A lot of women go their entire pregnancy without even one vaginal check, and some have a check during labor to make sure it's clear to push.

Magnolia7
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I'm familiar with cervical checks as I did those as part of NFP charting when I was first learning.  If you are going to try then I think the safest time would be in the shower after you have washed your hands and vaginal area.

During pregnancy the uterus and cervix lift up, so it may not even be reachable until you've "dropped" or your body is close to delivery.  Normally the cervix is firm and closed, it will feel like the tip of your nose and while you may feel an indent in the middle, your fingertip cannot pass.  When you start to efface it takes on the softness of your earlobe, and when dilation occurs you find that a fingertip (or more) can pass through the center. 

If you've been having any spotting or cramping I would not recommend even trying.  And honestly, there's no correlation between dilation/effacement now and when baby will come.  When cervical changes correspond to regular contractions, then you know you're going somewhere.  But even in that instance, everyone is different and will go at different rates.  It can really mess with your mind and your spirits to think that your cervix is not opening fast enough, and so for me I don't think I want to know. And I'm not going to be allowing my dr to do any pre-labor checks - that I think is a much bigger risk for infection, same as at the hospital.

larissalarie
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM
There's no reason for it, so I've never done it. I even decline pre-labor checks from my doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I have never checked my own cervics. I do NFP and still don't check it. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM

It's always fun to know if your dilated, imagining when baby will come.  But as others have said not a good idea.

Julia.C
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I understand the response..  I haven't and probably won't actually do this.  I am in no rush to go into labor and I wouldn't want to introduce infection.   I am, however, a huge advocate for being familiar with my body and I am just a curious person.  Prior to being pregnant with my second child, I would check my own cervix for signs of ovulation.  I haven't had a doctor check me and have declined all of the "extra's" of the hospital care so far .  I just want to learn and as a woman, nothing is more empowering to me.  

I found a great site that speaks truth to me.  To quote, " It can be a tool for self-discovery and empowerment. "  

http://www.fwhc.org/health/selfcare.htm

However, thank you everyone for your response.  I will be more cautious, for sure.

CafeMom Tickers

---------------------------------

Mother Nurture Blog

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM
I'm not checking mine and neither is anyone else.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:39 PM
The thing is that it can't really tell you much. You can be soft and dilated 5 cm and not go into labor for 3 weeks or you could be high and closed and have your baby 3 hours from now.

Quoting Julia.C:

I understand the response..  I haven't and probably won't actually do this.  I am in no rush to go into labor and I wouldn't want to introduce infection.   I am, however, a huge advocate for being familiar with my body and I am just a curious person.  Prior to being pregnant with my second child, I would check my own cervix for signs of ovulation.  I haven't had a doctor check me and have declined all of the "extra's" of the hospital care so far .  I just want to learn and as a woman, nothing is more empowering to me.  

I found a great site that speaks truth to me.  To quote, " It can be a tool for self-discovery and empowerment. "  

http://www.fwhc.org/health/selfcare.htm

However, thank you everyone for your response.  I will be more cautious, for sure.

cemcnair
by Courtney on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:48 AM
I could never reach mine during pregnancy anyway. I also decline regular checks by the ob because with my first child it stressed me out that I wasn't "progressing" towards the end of pregnancy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)