Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Avoid dairy to help your newborn get over jaundice faster...

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

I found this reference to avoiding dairy post-partum in order to help your newborn get rid of jaundice faster.  Has anyone else heard of this?  Has anyone done this with success?

http://www.gamidwife.com/pdf/alfalfa.pdf

The use of dairy products by the mother also increases the length of newborn jaundice in breasted babies, because the hormones that are in the dairy feed come through both milks into the baby, delaying the bilirubin elimination.  A delay of 5 days without dairy products is usually enough for the baby's system to catch up.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Considering it takes a minimum of 2 weeks for dairy to clear your system, I don't see how avoiding it for 5 days after birth would do much.
But I could see how not having to deal with that hard to digest protein could help...ironically enough my only baby to have jaundice was my 3rd, and I was over 2 years into a strict dairy-free diet for my 2nd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Interesting. My experience - dairu with both kids, DS1 had jaundice for a few days and DS2 had it very mildly for only one day.

littlelambe2
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:26 AM

I agree with larissalarie questioning how it would be beneficial to avoid for only 5 days. 

Interestingky enough, neither of my girls were jaundiced and I eat and drink dairy like its going out of style. 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Hormones in dairy is one reason I avoid it altogether. This makes me wonder if avoiding during at least the last few weeks of pregnancy would reduce the risk or severity of jaundice. I was actually a little surprised my first didn't get jaundice, I wonder if maybe that's partly why. Interesting!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Interesting theory

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Problem is dairy is in your system for up to a MONTH...so I dont know how 5 days would do any good

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Both my girls were jaundiced. Serenity had a more severe case-had to be under the lights. Caidence had it longer but not high enough bili count to do much about. With Serenity's pregnancy/PP period I consumed way too much dairy. With Caidence, I limited myself to cheese, yogurt, and the occasional ice cream. I should go completely dairy free the last 6 wks just to experiment.

Interesting theory. Like Larissa, I can see how the difficulty in digesting the milk proteins could have an affect but I don't think 5 days dairy free would be enough.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Magnolia7
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I know that the casein can hang out in your body for about two weeks.  Perhaps the hormones clear a bit more quickly. 

Either way, good reminder that I need to start cutting the dairy.  My first had jaundice and a terrible reaction to dairy.  So I think with this one I'm going to cut it out before birth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)