Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Which carrier to use?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM
  • 27 Replies
I'm trying to find the perfect carrier. I'm short and my one year old is tall. I have a soft structured carrier that I can't use anymore because I can't get him in and out by myself. I have a thick stretchy wrap that I can use inside the house, but I can't use it out in public because he gets mad and wants to be put down. I also have a woven wrap that I can't use for the very same reason. My only reason for not going to a store and asking for help there is because I'm not going to spend $100 on the carriers they have there. What type of carrier would you ladies suggest? I'm breast feeding too, and since he's so tall I stopped being able to hold him in the cradle hold a few months ago. I need to get a carrier I can use on the go because I don't drive. I take the train and my stroller is a huge pain in the ass every time I need to take a bus or stairs. He's not walking and I don't have the upper arm strength to carry him all day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM
I love my Mai tie for front carrying and my Beco for back carrying. I can't get my 11 mo in the Beco front carry by myself either, and it's not nearly as comfy as a MT for front carry anyway.
Can you get babe on your back in your ssc? It took me a few practice tries before I could get it down, but it's easy now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM
PS Babe is also long, both the MT and Beco fit her great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I can get him on my back but he pulls my hair and drools down my neck. I was considering a Mei Tei a while back and I don't remember why I'd didn't get one. How many positions can you use with one?

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM
I love my ergo. It was $100. But IMO, totally worth it. I use it nearly every day and has been used with 2 children so far. The resale value is pretty good. Try the carriers out at a store so you can find a good and comfortable fit for you and your baby. Don't feel pressure to buy if you're not satisfied. Go online and try to find a used, less expensive carrier that you like.

And try to get over the price tag. Treat yo self!
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Oh yeah that sucks. I have to put my hair up when I wear her like that.
The Mai tie can be worn just like an ssc- front, back, hip. It's the same as an ssc but it ties instead of clips, and since it crosses in the back it offers way more back support and I find it to be way more comfy than an ssc for front.

Quoting polkaspots:

I can get him on my back but he pulls my hair and drools down my neck. I was considering a Mei Tei a while back and I don't remember why I'd didn't get one. How many positions can you use with one?

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM
If you have a babywearing international chapter in your area, meet with them. They have a library of tons of carriers and they'll help you try them on and such.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM
I think I will go to a store and try some out. I'm sure there's a few stores in manhattan that have more than just the moby.

Quoting bloomsr:

I love my ergo. It was $100. But IMO, totally worth it. I use it nearly every day and has been used with 2 children so far. The resale value is pretty good. Try the carriers out at a store so you can find a good and comfortable fit for you and your baby. Don't feel pressure to buy if you're not satisfied. Go online and try to find a used, less expensive carrier that you like.

And try to get over the price tag. Treat yo self!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I just looked that up and the one in my state is over 200 miles away. I live in NYC. I'm going to look up some stores that sell the different types of carriers in manhattan and make a day of it. I love finding excuses to be out all day because I get to have a picnic!!

Quoting jellyphish:

If you have a babywearing international chapter in your area, meet with them. They have a library of tons of carriers and they'll help you try them on and such.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I'd check out the Boba. It's great for tall kiddos
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Im goings to try some out at stores and pick which one fits the best. I might just keep using my stroller until then.

Quoting jconney80:

I'd check out the Boba. It's great for tall kiddos

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN