Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Homemade face scrub?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have made my own before with olive oil or coconut oil but both break my face out. I need something without oil as the base but I have no idea what to use. Any suggestions?

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I would think it would need some sort of oil as a base. I am surprised coconut oil makes you break out...have you tried jojoba? I am interested to know what others think. milk? honey?

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I have made a gentle scrub with equal parts steel cut oatmeal, natural sugar, and aloe vera. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this
The oil probably makes you break it because it's detoxing your face. OO and CO are both amazing for skin health. So I would suggest doing a castor oil cleanse- coat your face with castor oil for 20 minutes everyday until it clears. Itll probably get worse before it gets better, but once it gets better you'll be sooo happy you did it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Let me ask my cousin. She has been experimenting with different scrubs etc :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Sugar breeds infection (which is why we are told to cut it to get rid of yeast). It's not a good idea to use it topically. Sea salt, Epsom, pink Himalayan salts are all cleansing and detoxifying and are fantastic for healing skin (which is why we use it to clean infections).
If OP is prone to breakouts, the sugar will likely add fuel to the fire.

Quoting catholicmamamia:

I have made a gentle scrub with equal parts steel cut oatmeal, natural sugar, and aloe vera. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Man I wish I knew where those homemade face stuff recipes were posted on cm before id bump the post for u. One had milk and honey. maybe Google a recipe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:13 AM
For Oily Skin

Ingredients:

1 tsp powdered skim milk

1 tsp honey

few drops of apple vinegar

Instructions:

Mix your ingredients into a bowl, and apply it to the skin in a circular motion with your fingertips for a minute or two. Then, rinse with a warm water and a wash cloth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:14 AM
For Dry Skin

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon oat or rice bran

1 tablespoon honey

1 teaspoon cream

Instructions:

Heat your ingredients gently on your stovetop, stirring until well blended. Then, be sure to use your cleanser while it's still warm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:15 AM
For Sensitive Skin

Ingredients:

1 part baking soda

2 parts ground oatmeal

Instructions:

You can ground your oatmeal in a food processor or with a mortar and pestle. Then, mix it with the baking soda and store in a sealed container. Whenever you want to wash your face, mix 1/2 tsp of the dry mixture with warm water. Rub gently onto skin in circular motions, rinse off and pat dry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM

this was my first thought. They might be doing the natural thing which is making things worse before they get better...like a detox

Quoting jellyphish:

The oil probably makes you break it because it's detoxing your face. OO and CO are both amazing for skin health. So I would suggest doing a castor oil cleanse- coat your face with castor oil for 20 minutes everyday until it clears. Itll probably get worse before it gets better, but once it gets better you'll be sooo happy you did it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)