Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

thinking of cloth diapering

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM
  • 15 Replies

i just found out im expecting and im interested in cloth diapering but im clueless on where to start. i've looked online a lot and its a bit overwhelming.. any advice?

pregnancy calendar

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM
3 moms liked this

Check out the group cuties with cloth booties.  They have a great FAQ section : ) 

Precious333
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Dont overthink it :) i have used several kids of cloth diapers, you can get a few and see which you like best. The cheapest are prefolds, but some like the all in one diapers because they are similar to dispoables. Www.cottonbabies.com is where i go to a lot to get diapers. I also get cloth wipes (might as well since im washng diapers anyways) and i jusr wet the wipes with water. I also have a wetbag tobput dirty diapers in when I am.out, and that goes in the wash with the diapers as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
For starting from birth, you'll likely need some newborn sized diapers which fit about 5-10lbs. Then one sized diapers would start fitting. I agree with joining Cuties with Cloth Booties. They have great resources. And I agree with getting a variety. I found that one that I thought would be too much work were actually pretty easy (like flats and prefolds), and ones I thought I would love weren't so great (like all in ones). Pockets are a pretty popular choice.
katherinemcp
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
My stash is mostly made up of different types of dipes from cottonbabies- I like their products and the company. My newborn stash is multiple brands- a variety is a bit better for newborns in my opinion especially if you'll be using them for future babies- they grow quickly and absorbency needs change fast when they are tiny.

There a dozens of online stores that offer a 'try it out' cloth program where you can put a deposit down on a set of different brands or types of diapers and try it out for a certain amount of time. Once you return them usually either part of the deposit is refunded or you get store credit. Its a great way to try it out if you don't know anyone near you who CD's already.

Dirtydiaperlaundry.com is an awesome resource- like her on facebook and read through her website for ideas of where to get started too! (Also allaboutclothdiapers.com, and diaperpin.com are good resources)

Congrats on your little one, enjoy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katherinemcp
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I forgot to mention the Dirty Diaper Laundry web site has tons of video reviews of different types of diapers. If you've seen a few brands you think you might be interested in, chances are she's done a video review on them and you can really see what the differences are in the brands/types. (:
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM

You tube videos! That helped me the most. It can be overwhelming at first but you'll get the hang of it in no time. 

princess_peach
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM
It really is overwhelming because there are so many options! I did mostly prefolds with covers to start out because it was cheapest. I still love them but now all in twos are my favorite. What works for one may not work for someone else. Try a few different kinds and see what you like. It's fairly easy to sell the one you end up not liking.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:47 PM
I suggest trying a few different ones! Everyone likes different things and you don't want to sink all of your money into one kind in case you don't like them. I love Bumgenius snap closure 4.0 one size diapers. I love Thirsties fitteds and covers. Prefolds are great for newborns
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I was overwhelmed too.  I started at 5 months last time so this newborn cloth diaper idea is way different.

Newborns can wear only certain diapers..one size diapers DONT fit most newborns.  I am doing fitted with covers.

Olderbabies to toddlers can wear just about anything, all depends on what you like.  We prefer pocket diapers.  Easy for hubby, easy for me lol.

My advice is to buy used of alot of different kinds to try out, look nearby for a cloth diaper store and see if they have classes so you ca play with some diapers too.

mommytotwonow
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM

keep it simple! gerber diapers at target are 10 bucks for ten. i started with 4 packs. at least 8 covers. i have used the same stash from birth to 18 months. i have added a few diapers biut nothing crazy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)