Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

spinal fluid loss

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM
  • 17 Replies
Need some help. A friend had her 5th child by c-sec (medical reasons) 4 weeks ago. She lost a lot of blood and spinal fluid. She has had a headache since. She also had a spinal patch, but it did not help. Anything naturally age can do to help replenish spinal fluid or help with the headache?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Increased fluids and caffeine might help. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

BaileysMom9
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Oh man, I'm not sure.  I think pp had good advice.  Besides lots of water, I have no clue.  My  husband had a spinal headache after a surgery that they did a spinal on.  It was AWFUL.  I've never seen a full-grown man in so much pain (and he grew up with migraines).  He had a spinal patch done and it did help.  I hope your friend can kick the head ache soon :(  Poor lady.

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Im not sure on this but what about a chiro?  I know they help make the fluid move back to the brain, but this may not be a case where they can do anythign without it healing first.

larissalarie
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM
If she still has the spinal headache, she needs another blood patch. They don't always take the first time.
This is really a problem for her to be discussing with her doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gbcmom
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Thank you for the response. She wasnt specific, but said that her doctor had offered other solutions. She was just trying to get some non envasive ideas to try first. I am only guessing but she is ebf and caffine is probably out of the question for her. I saw online where medically they could do a caffine iv drip.
gbcmom
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Thank you for the response. She wasnt specific, but said that her doctor had offered other solutions. She was just trying to get some non envasive ideas to try first. I am only guessing but she is ebf and caffine is probably out of the question for her. I saw online where medically they could do a caffine iv drip.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM

poor girl, idk.  I heard that can be awful.

isaacsmommy68
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM
I know how she feels. She needs to call the labor and delivery hospital. Anesthesia needs to know for a possible second blood patch. It took 2 weeks flat on my back and a lot of caffeine to help. If you want to help go over and help while she lays down. I know that helped me a lot!

Quoting larissalarie:

If she still has the spinal headache, she needs another blood patch. They don't always take the first time.

This is really a problem for her to be discussing with her doctor.

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Poor girl! That really sucks. I had a spinal tap when I was 16 and ended up with a leak and a patch and a headache that would put a migraine to shame. The only thing that even touched my headache was caffeine. Not sure how she feels about that if she is BFing but coffee with cream and honey was what they were giving me in the hospital. Eventually the fluid bulit back up and about 3 weeks later the headache started to subside.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN