Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
My son is 2 weeks old and hasn't pooped in 3 days. He seems uncomfortable as though his tummy is upset. He is bfed and has had plenty of wet diapers.

Any suggestions on how to get things moving?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Replies (11-14):
larissalarie
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Actually a breastfed baby can go much much longer that 3-4 days without pooping after the first few weeks. Using things like supositories in a healthy baby isn't generally a good idea (not saying it wasn't good for your kid, I don't know anything about formula babies)

Quoting jaspersmommy3:

3 to 4 days is normal, any thing long ask your dr. my daughter is always constipated really bad at about a month. and I found children glycrin supositories. Use just half of it, and they will go within second's they are wonderful when they need instant relief. My ped. put my daughter on laxative's cause she has so much trouble going. I switched her to gerber protect and it has helped her wonder's..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaspersmommy3
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Just about everything is bad for baby, but when your baby is screaming in pain and you have done everything they tell you to do and nothing works. It was my last resort at that tine it was the weekend so couldnt get her to her ped. And she was beyond bloated. It doesn't hurt them. She is now regular, since I changed her formula, my dr told me it was ok to do what I did, then he put her on a laxative, thank god she doesnt have to have it anymore period. But he did tell me anything over 5 days wasnt healthy. My daughter went 4. And she screamed cause it hurt so bad to go. It is horrible..and she is colic

Quoting larissalarie:

Actually a breastfed baby can go much much longer that 3-4 days without pooping after the first few weeks. Using things like supositories in a healthy baby isn't generally a good idea (not saying it wasn't good for your kid, I don't know anything about formula babies)

Quoting jaspersmommy3:

3 to 4 days is normal, any thing long ask your dr. my daughter is always constipated really bad at about a month. and I found children glycrin supositories. Use just half of it, and they will go within second's they are wonderful when they need instant relief. My ped. put my daughter on laxative's cause she has so much trouble going. I switched her to gerber protect and it has helped her wonder's..

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM
I wasn't saying it was bad for your baby. Like I said, I don't know about formula. But a breastfed baby can go a week or more without pooping and it's healthy & fine. Breastmilk just doesn't have the waste of formula, so the literally don't need to poop. In *that* case a supository or laxative would be bad.

Quoting jaspersmommy3:

Just about everything is bad for baby, but when your baby is screaming in pain and you have done everything they tell you to do and nothing works. It was my last resort at that tine it was the weekend so couldnt get her to her ped. And she was beyond bloated. It doesn't hurt them. She is now regular, since I changed her formula, my dr told me it was ok to do what I did, then he put her on a laxative, thank god she doesnt have to have it anymore period. But he did tell me anything over 5 days wasnt healthy. My daughter went 4. And she screamed cause it hurt so bad to go. It is horrible..and she is colic

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting jaspersmommy3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Glad he got some relief 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)