Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Bed sharing to toddler bed?

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM
  • 12 Replies
Hi ladies, my son is 16months old and we are still bed sharing. However, we are ready to have him in his own room. Im still nursing and he still wakes up quite a bit at night to nurse. I think that if he was in his own room maybe he wouldn't be tempted as much to eat. ( wishful thinking... I know lol) anyway, Im wondering if it wotld be better and easier if we tried a toddler bed and not the crib. That way I can lay with him if I had to and it's a little more similar to our bed than a crib. Have any of you done that? Thoughts? Thanks!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I prefer a crib (pack 'n play, actually) because DS can't make a midnight run.  He is guaranteed to be in bed, even if he's wide awake.

What about putting a bed (crib or mattress or toddler bed) right beside your bed for your DS?  This way you'll be taking baby steps to get him out of your room, but it'll still be convenient for you to nurse until he's through with night nursing...  It was WONDERFUL to get our DS out of the bed at 14 months, but I liked him close at night!

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM
I'm going to start transitioning my 17 month old to a toddler bed probably next weekend. But it will be right beside my bed and he probably won't stay in it for very long. The goal is to start him out in it at the beginning of the night :)
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I, personally, would start out with switching him to ANY bed in your room. Then to night weaning (Dr. Jay Gordon has a brilliant method). Then, finally, into his own room. I wouldn't do it all at once. That's SO much of an emotional transistion for someone so young. I would go VERY slowly, thinking around 6-12 months, slowly. 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with everyone else! Start slowly in your room on a mattress by your bed. I moved my son into a toddler bed when he was 19 months old. I could still sit by his bed and nurse him back to sleep if needed. He didn't like it the first night and I let him back in his sidecarred crib (level with my bed) but the second night he did great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM
2 moms liked this
Also one thing that really helped my son was playing in his new bed in the day time to get comfy with it. I read him books in it and put a few stuffed animals in it. He sat on it and got used to it then that night he was fine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this
We just put a full bed in her room and I put her to bed there, go to sleep in my bed, and when/if she wakes up I go sleep in her room. She still wakes a few times at night but seems to be less and less. She'll be two in June and we started this at I wanna say 16 mo
littlelambe2
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this

We moved our first from bed sharing to a twin mattress on the floor in her own room when she was 15 months. We did the transition slowly (for my sake, too!). So, I nursed her to sleep in her bed, and every time she woke up, I went in there and nursed her back to sleep. At first, as she was waking quite a bit, I would bring her into our room around midnight. After a few weeks, I stuck it out until 1am. Then 2am, etc. when she was 18 months old I slowly started the process of night weaning using the principles and ideas in the no cry sleep solution for toddlers by Elizabeth Pantley.

Skipping the toddler bed and going straight to a twin worked best for us. I could lay down and nurse her back to sleep easily, I could sneak out easier, and if I fell asleep while nursing, it didn't matter. Also, because she was used to our bigger bed, she liked having the extra room. We'll be doing something similar with dd2, although probably sooner as she is a better sleeper. She's 5 months right now and well probably start the transition around 8/9 months. We'll be moving her to a twin as well. Definitely have a goal and stick to it! We chose to do is more slowly for the sake of everyone! Once dd1 was sleeping in her own bed until 6am every morning, dh told me he missed the middle of the night snuggles! Lol. At least he still got some morning snuggles on the weekend :)

outstandingLove
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not any help.

I have my 3month old's crib side-carred to the bed. When she gets bigger (probably around 12-18 months) we will move the crib mattress to the floor and a little ways away from our bed.

When she is toilet learned (between 2 and 3 yrs old) she will be moved into her sisters room and start sharing a room there.

Karly615
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks so much for all the advice!!! I'm going to try night weaning with Dr. Jay Gordon and then slowly transition him to his own bed big enough so i can lay with him if need be :-) knew I could count on u ladies!!
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:41 PM

We did that, it worked pretty well. We had to actually night wean though http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)