Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Id like to share my birth story :)

Posted by   + Show Post
On Thanksgiving of 2011 at 6:00pm I started having contractions...as time went on they got worse and closer together but I was afraid to go to the hospital to just be told to go home and wait...I made it through the night.The little sleep I got was thanks to dh holding his body weight against my back.At 8:30am the next day I was in so much pain I couldnt stand up to get dressed,dh could tell I could make it to the hospital by car so he called the ambulance..when I got there the nurses were rushing me and pushing me to get an IV and epidural...eventually I caved and got both.I felt bad once my OB came in bc I made it to 5 1/2 centimeters WITHOUT drugs..I hated being pressured,I just wanted to be alone with dh.I couldnt stand the nurses,but my OB was amazing..dd had the cord around her neck and the OB literally saved her life! she also poured some kind of oil in me and massaged the opening so i didnt need any stitches!! Well dd was born Nov.25 at 11:54am. instantly i was able to hold my babygirl... :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Replies (21-29):
1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Great Job Hun
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Quoting hannahs.mama:

Thank you...but i take it as a lesson learned....trust my own instincts and just relax.dd is a very healthy 16 month old now.both my mom and mil always filled my head with horror stories to "prepare me" and all it did was terrify me. I look back and think of how dumb of me it was to buy into the hype. Next pregnancy ill know to trust myself and relax...

Quoting larissalarie:

Aww, I'm sorry they scared you like that :(

Quoting hannahs.mama:

youre right about the time left and about the cord around the neck...but being a young mother i was nervous and afraid....with the cord all i heard was "stop! stop! The cord is around the babys neck!" and to me time froze.(I was told stories of still births with the cord around the baby's neck.)...i was relieved to be told to push again...thats why i say she saved her life...i wasnt prepared for her birth and everyone but OB and dh were cold and rushing....next time around i will be able to keep calm and relaxed alot better AND be more informed on my options.

Quoting larissalarie:

Yeah all my babies were born with cords around their necks, they didn't need their lives saved considering babies don't need to breathe before they're born. :)

OP, that's crazy you went by ambulance with so much time left! I'm glad you had a nice birth :)

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Great work mama!! :)

Nuchal cord (cord around the neck) is the reason ob saved babies life? Or did I read that wrong?

i think a lot of mothers scare their daughters about what to "expect" during birth....which is really sad. my mom had all of us at home unassisted so homebirth for me was totally normal and thats why i chose to have my babies at home. the risks of the hospital are just too scary for me...
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I'm sorry they scared you like that :(
Nuchal cords usually only become an emergency when they're managed as one (as they usually are in hospitals). I'm glad things worked out! Thanks for posting your story!

Quoting hannahs.mama:

youre right about the time left and about the cord around the neck...but being a young mother i was nervous and afraid....with the cord all i heard was "stop! stop! The cord is around the babys neck!" and to me time froze.(I was told stories of still births with the cord around the baby's neck.)...i was relieved to be told to push again...thats why i say she saved her life...i wasnt prepared for her birth and everyone but OB and dh were cold and rushing....next time around i will be able to keep calm and relaxed alot better AND be more informed on my options.

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I've noticed this is true too, and not just moms of pregnant women but older women in general. I don't know why - why not be positive and encouraging?

Quoting tansyflower:

i think a lot of mothers scare their daughters about what to "expect" during birth....which is really sad. my mom had all of us at home unassisted so homebirth for me was totally normal and thats why i chose to have my babies at home. the risks of the hospital are just too scary for me...

tansyflower
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM

maybe because birth has been so medicalized for enough generations that they literally were just reliving their horrible birthing experiences. my grandma had to have her 6 kids in the hospital because of an rh factor thing (her last two were very sick) and one time she actually had two nuns holding her arms down and a nun sitting on top of her forcing her legs closed screaming at her not to push because the dr was not in the room.  at that time if the dr wasnt there to catch the baby he didnt get paid.  can you IMAGINE having that done to you? 

lol so the next time she went in to give birth she sent the nun off to get her some water/ice when she felt the need to push and delivered my uncle all by herself alone so she could do it in peace.  i still cant believe she didnt do the whole "twilight birth" thing since that was really how most woman of her generation gave birth.  she did it naturally each time, with no pain meds and has said many times she wished she could have had them at home.  a woman before her time!

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I've noticed this is true too, and not just moms of pregnant women but older women in general. I don't know why - why not be positive and encouraging?

Quoting tansyflower:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Congrats momma, nurses seem to be worse at all the pressure over the doctors

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Congratulations!!

OakesMama
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Thank you for sharing, I am trying to read as many birth stories as I can, I am trying to compare home/hospital/assisted/unassited births. But no one seems to want to share. So thank you very much!

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Thank you for sharing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)