Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

couple bf questions

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM
  • 3 Replies

I have stabbing pain through my breasts a lot (not related to letdown). Normal? Anything I can do?

My left nipple burns after DS nurses. It feels sort of like the vasospasms I had with DS1, but they don't change color. I don't think it's thrush since it's only on one side, baby has no signs of it, and it's been going on for a few weeks now. Is this a latch issue? It only burns right after he nurses, whether it's a short session or a long one, and goes away after I put my bra and shirt back on.

ETA: He's 7 weeks tomorrow and the burning started about two weeks ago.

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Mama110981
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Sounds like a latch issue. My son latched on great right from the begining but when it took a few days for my milk to come in he started to thrive and not latch. I had to " retrain" him to do so. Call the hosp u gave birth at and see if theres a lactation consultant u can talk with. Good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:37 AM

I described something similar to my midwife while breastfeeding DS1.  Letdown tingles inside the breast, but my pain was in the nipple, almost like I was getting skewered with a shish-kabob stake.

She suggested lecithin supplements as an emulsifier, and within a couple days of taking them the pain went away.

I've been taking Lecithin since DS2 was born, and haven't experienced the same pain...

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I get the sharp pain occasionally still in one of my breasts. I also get a sore nipple. It's from the latch. His latch isn't bad he just is heavier now and I nurse him on a weird angle. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)