Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

We could use some help =) ***Eta***

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hello! Dh and I have decided to change our family's diet. We want to get rid of all processed foods and stuff. I am not sure where to start. I do know, we will not be buying store bought milk, eggs and things like that. We will be going to farmers markets and such. We think baby steps would be best for our family. We have some friends who went cold turkey and the detox was horrible for them.

Has anyone else completely changed their diet? Do you have any advice or tips? Is there a blog I could read?

Thank you :)

I would like to thank all of you who have replied to this post. I am taking baby steps and looking into the suggested websites/blogs that were given, as well as tips that were suggested.. Again, thank you :)

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I would just start slow.  Make one or two changes a week.  Just see how it goes but keep moving forward.

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:55 PM

A clean eating diet might be a good place to start - there are tons of blogs and meal plans on google.

hapababies
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM
I started with completely stopping eating fast food. It has been baby steps since then. There is still some processed foods in our pantry like pasta and organic kids snacks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:39 PM

The ND we saw last month said that the three most important things in nutrition were to choose good water, good salt, and good oil. 

She recommended we switch from Morton's Salt with iodine to a mineral salt like Himalayan, Utah, or Celtic Salt.

She said nearly any cooking oil was better than vegetable or canola oil, but recommended coconut oil for our warm foods and olive oil for cool foods.

Good Luck!

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Out with the old, in with the new. As you use up the less natural food/drinks, buy better alternatives to replace them when you are at the store. It is a process.. but many of us have done it, and you can too! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

katherinemcp
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:04 AM
I would suggest some of the stand bys such as cooking from scratch for your meals, shopping the perimeters of the store for produce, 'natural'/organic meats, etc, and consider growing a garden if possible as good basic starting points for removing a lot of the processed items from someone's diets. You then could choose the higher quality items which are naturally without additives and other junk. Then try further steps.

Look into CSA's in your area- many offer wonderful meats, cheeses, and milk from their own farm or nearby partnering farms.

Try Pinterest too- search for 'whole foods diet' and you'll get all sorts of links to ways people have removed processed store bought items from their families' diets.

Good luck and enjoy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM

100 days of real food is a good starting off point

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)