Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

could it be connected?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM
  • 16 Replies

I got my son an Amber teething necklace a couple months ago, and though I was skeptical I found it worked pretty well. Cut down on drool, and he wasn't as irritable with his teeth coming in.

But ever since then, he's gotten sick a lot. He just got ANOTHER cold, and I'm at my wit's end. He's very healthy, and he isn't in day care or in particularily 'germy' situations like that with lots of people very often. He's always dressed super cozy, and he didn't start getting really sick til I put the necklace on him. He always gets a cold when he's cutting a new tooth (that was his first cold, and he only got one other one after that, before the necklace) but he only has four teeth - and the came in in pairs! I just don't know - could it be connected somehow? :/

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM
No it's not the necklace. Teething, I would imagine, probably weakens the immune system a little making him more susceptible to catching something. You could consider supplements and/or putting a tto spray on his feet when you think he may get sick again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM
No, there's no connection. Just a coincidence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maddiesmommy5
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM

No connection, if anything the amber may help him feel a little better with a cold It defiantly wouldn't cause one. I wear one to help with my headaches(works great).  I agree with jellyphish try using tto when u think he is getting sick. 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Are you sure it's a cold? A lot of babies exhibit cold-like symptoms when they teethe. Mine is currently teething and as result is feverish and nose drooly, she doesn't have a cold.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I would say it's connected to the teething but not the necklace.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I believe any reaction to an amber necklace would be on the skin.

Last month the ND mentioned my LO's skin is reacting negatively to his amber teething necklace.  She pointed out the area that was slightly reddened, but it didn't look "irritated" to my eye.  We chose to leave the necklace on because the relief he gets from wearing it outweighs the minor reaction he *might* have.

Sounds like you need to try to boost your little guy's immunity.  I bet the group would have some great ideas for you if you're interested!

MegMonsterMomma
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Yep - the snot's green. haha. DS gets what you are describing usually during teething, but his mucous is usually clear or white. It's only ever green when he's got a real cold. 

Quoting jellyphish:

Are you sure it's a cold? A lot of babies exhibit cold-like symptoms when they teethe. Mine is currently teething and as result is feverish and nose drooly, she doesn't have a cold.

MegMonsterMomma
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I feel so bad for the poor bub - I get really awful colds when the seasons change and I just realized that may be it. Her got a lot of bad things from me, right down to my eczema and easily-scarred skin! I'd definitely appreciate ideas to boost his immune system. We spent some time at Sick Kids hospital this winter (three visits in 6 months for tests that told me what I already knew, not impressed with my doctor) so I'm thinking maybe just being around the germs and hospital environment might have put a damper on his ability to fight things off. 

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I believe any reaction to an amber necklace would be on the skin.

Last month the ND mentioned my LO's skin is reacting negatively to his amber teething necklace.  She pointed out the area that was slightly reddened, but it didn't look "irritated" to my eye.  We chose to leave the necklace on because the relief he gets from wearing it outweighs the minor reaction he *might* have.

Sounds like you need to try to boost your little guy's immunity.  I bet the group would have some great ideas for you if you're interested!

MegMonsterMomma
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I'm willing to consider pretty much anything. He gets so miserable when he's sick and I feel like it's all my fault - but I don't know why he keeps catching these things!

Quoting jellyphish:

No it's not the necklace. Teething, I would imagine, probably weakens the immune system a little making him more susceptible to catching something. You could consider supplements and/or putting a tto spray on his feet when you think he may get sick again.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Ok yeah. Poor boy. Teething and sickeepoo. :(
Definitely could be weather too. The Little seems to get sick everytime it rains. Last time I gave her some vit d and a drops when it started raining and she didn't get sick. I put EOs on her feet too. They help a lot.

I hope he feels better soon! And Ts not your fault. He's a baby with a baby immune system, it's nature's fault!

Quoting MegMonsterMomma:

Yep - the snot's green. haha. DS gets what you are describing usually during teething, but his mucous is usually clear or white. It's only ever green when he's got a real cold. 

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)