Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Unassisted Childbirth

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:00 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hi there, I am looking for Mama's who have had UC. How did you prepare? What made your decision? I'm searching for answers. I have worked in a hospital since I was 14 so dropping the medical midset is very difficult for me but after my last child I don't feel I can trust anyone to deliver my children. So I am lost and really need some directions and advice. A midwife had delivered my last 4 in the hospital. Please tell me their are some UC pro's in here... Thanks

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Quen
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm actually planning a UC right now. :)

This will be my first birth and UC.  I prepared my body and mind first.  Lots of meditation, I stopped taking any and all unnatural substances (like medications and whatnot), and I researched. A LOT.  I am still researching to this day and I am about nine months pregnant.

peaches_04
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Theres a lot in this group. Bump for the uc ladies
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I'll bump this for you! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileysMom9
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm planning a UC :)  Due in July with my 4th.  All my previous babies have been born in a hospital (2 with CNM's and one with an OB).  I made the decision early on in this pregnanncy to UC for many reasons.  It just felt right this time.  I've never even considered it in the past, but this time is different.  I am in a new area, with little options for care and no homebirth midwives (don't even have any CNM's within 2 hrs).  I do not trust the OB practice I am with, and I do not trust the hospital and it's constantly rotating staff (VERY high turn over rate here).  I also felt like I wanted an intimate birth experience.  I want to take responsibility in this pregnancy and birth and be free to do as I please.  I don't want to be under my OB's thumb, and feel pressured into things I'm not comfortable with.  I am very excited about this upcoming birth. 

I will say though, and I think most women who have UC'ed and are planning on UC'ing will agree on, you need to be 100% comfortable with your decision and as prepared as possibly can be.  Don't make this decision lightly.  It's a very personal choice, and it's not for everyone. 

A great place to get lots of UC info is in the Birth Is Normal group.  They have a resource section for everything you will need for the birth, as well as things you'll need to prepare. 

Good luck with your decision :) 

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm also planning a UC. Actually, I'm doing a UP and a UC. Unassisted pregnancy and childbirth. The only prenatal care I'll be getting is a pregnancy confirmation from the local health dept so I can get the birth certificate.
For pregnancy, I'm keeping track of my own weight, blood pressure, glucose (with an over the counter meter), and using urine dip sticks to monitor nitrates, proteins, glucose, ketone, bili, pH, leukocytes, etc, as well as monitoring my fundal height and using a fetoscope for heart tones.
For birth, you don't really need much. Towels, bowl, scissors, plastic to put under your sheets, hot water, and time. Birth is the easy part. Dedicatedrider, Teresa, has a great email she sends out for to UC moms with great info if you'd like me to forward it to you. Oh, and read! Any natural birth you can get your hands on! I have, so far for mine, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, The Birth Partner, The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth, and Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn The Complete Guide, as well as Emergency Birth that came in Teresa's email. There are a ton I'm forgetting. Watching The Business of Being Born (1&2) and Pregnant in America can help. Watch as many unassisted birth videos and read the birth stories as you can.
Eat right and exercise are the two most important things you can do to improve your pregnancy and birth. Know that you can do this, have faith in your body, this is a normal state.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM
2 moms liked this

A group here on CM has a lot of great info on UC.  Check out "Birth is Normal."  There is a vetting process to get in, so make sure you let them know why you want to be a member!

Quen
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm doing a UP as well! :)

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I'm also planning a UC. Actually, I'm doing a UP and a UC. Unassisted pregnancy and childbirth. The only prenatal care I'll be getting is a pregnancy confirmation from the local health dept so I can get the birth certificate.
For pregnancy, I'm keeping track of my own weight, blood pressure, glucose (with an over the counter meter), and using urine dip sticks to monitor nitrates, proteins, glucose, ketone, bili, pH, leukocytes, etc, as well as monitoring my fundal height and using a fetoscope for heart tones.
For birth, you don't really need much. Towels, bowl, scissors, plastic to put under your sheets, hot water, and time. Birth is the easy part. Dedicatedrider, Teresa, has a great email she sends out for to UC moms with great info if you'd like me to forward it to you. Oh, and read! Any natural birth you can get your hands on! I have, so far for mine, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, The Birth Partner, The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth, and Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn The Complete Guide, as well as Emergency Birth that came in Teresa's email. There are a ton I'm forgetting. Watching The Business of Being Born (1&2) and Pregnant in America can help. Watch as many unassisted birth videos and read the birth stories as you can.
Eat right and exercise are the two most important things you can do to improve your pregnancy and birth. Know that you can do this, have faith in your body, this is a normal state.

VintageWife
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

There are several in here. Hope you get the info you're looking for!

OakesMama
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Quoting MaryJarrett:

For birth, you don't really need much. Towels, bowl, scissors, plastic to put under your sheets, hot water, and time. Birth is the easy part. Dedicatedrider, Teresa, has a great email she sends out for to UC moms with great info if you'd like me to forward it to you. Oh, and read! Any natural birth you can get your hands on! I have, so far for mine,
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, The Birth Partner, The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth, and Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn The Complete Guide, as well as Emergency Birth Awsome thank you, I have enjoyed The Power of Pleasurable Childbirth by Laurrie Morgan, it kind of re affirmed everything for me.that came in Teresa's email. There are a ton I'm forgetting. Watching The Business of Being Born (1&2) and Pregnant in America I bought the first one and have watched the second many times. can help. Watch as many unassisted birth videos and read the birth stories as you can.

My Older sister has had 2 UC's now. My last baby was 5lbs 5 oz, born in the hospital under the midwife who had delivered 3 other children for me. My tiny baby's cord was clamped and cut barley 30 seconds after her delivery then they pulled my placenta out not even a full 5 minutes after my daughter was born. I hemorrhaged horribly they tried everything they had 2ce before they got the bleeding under control. These are women I trusted. I have 5 children all in the same room in the same hospital with the same nurses, and only my first had an OB otherwise it has been the same midwife. I really don't feel I can trust anyone anymore when it comes to my labors and delivery's. I have been training myself for someday getting certified as a midwife and my older sister calls me hers, so I have a lot of knowledge in all areas of childbirth and Labor, I have just always done everything under the quote unquote "safety" of the hospital. Now that's a joke I need to reverse my thinking on. My baby is just about 13 months old and as far as I know, don't quote me, I am not currently pregnant. So I am trying to work out all the kinks and have been going through my birthing video's so I can say yes that is one two three reasons I want to do this alone. I really appreciate all your ladies responses, I think even if your doing things alone it helps to have somewhere to turn for support and guidance.

OakesMama
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I just applied, thank you :)

Quoting GoodyBrook:

A group here on CM has a lot of great info on UC.  Check out "Birth is Normal."  There is a vetting process to get in, so make sure you let them know why you want to be a member!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN