Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Suggestion on a car seat

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:40 AM
  • 13 Replies

I'm looking for a car seat and I am confused whether I should go for RF car seat first which comes wiht 30 ~ 35  lb weight limit and some are convertible as FF which can be used until later age. Which one would be the best to go first? I'm also concerned about the weight of the car seat itself If I have to carry baby and move him around. Any suggestions?

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
If you are going to carry baby in the carseat, you'll want one that's designed for that (an infant carrier/carseat)and rear faces only. Those usually only last to about 20 pounds.

Then you'll need to switch to a convertible seat that you leave strapped into the car and just remove baby when getting in & out. Convertibles keep baby rear facing until 35-40 pounds depending on the seat. After that you can turn it forward facing and keep child harnessed until they reach the weight or height limit of the seat. This could be anywhere from 50-80 pounds depending on what seat you buy.

It extremely important that you read the manual and learn to use the seat correctly. The best seat in the world only works as well as it's used. Most parents actually aren't using them right between improper installs, loose straps, and chest clips at belly level...to name a few!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lydlou02
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM
you car is what matters when choosing a seat. Where will the seat go, will it fit? I ended up getting two different seats. One for our car and one for our van. We had to get a narrow seat for the car, so we used a carrier, but we were able to fit an ERF convertible in the van's captain chair without squishing anybody else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM

i did a bucket and then a convertable but that was just me.  join the car seat safety group, they can give you great info on carseats that will work for your vehicles and needs.

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM
If you want a convertible from birth, you'll be limited in your choices, most do not fit newborns well. I would go with the Graco Headwise if you want to go straight to convertible.

As for infant carriers, you don't have to carry them if you don't want to. You can just wear baby of you wanted too. :)

Here's a spreadsheet which lists the measurements of infant carrier/bucket car seats:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AvfUm4x64h3AdHpYd2k4RlQ1TnhUSGx4VEZaY09KUXc&hl=en

I switch my kiddos (which are born on the smaller side of average at 6-7lbs) to a convertible asap. This time around we are either getting the Comfy Carry Elite Plus infant seat or the Graco Headwise from birth. I almost NEVER carried my infant carrier.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elephantmamaof2
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM

You can go to Babies R Us and test the seats out. They let you take them out and see how they fit in your car, how heavy they are etc. If you're going to be carrying it around I'd go with an infant seat at first and then get the convertible. I did that with my first. With my second I just went straight to a convertible and used a front carrier whenever I needed to take her somewhere.

isaacsmommy68
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I like the carrier until they can sit on thier own. Then we went with a converable seat to 80lbs. You dont need to spend a lot of money on all the bells and whistles (cup holders etc).

Also this: It extremely important that you read the manual and learn to use the seat correctly. The best seat in the world only works as well as it's used. Most parents actually aren't using them right between improper installs, loose straps, and chest clips at belly level...to name a few!

Car accidents are the #1 killer of children under the age of 12 (depending on what study you read). Almost all of those are either not in a car seat or in one improperly installed!

Quoting larissalarie:

If you are going to carry baby in the carseat, you'll want one that's designed for that (an infant carrier/carseat)and rear faces only. Those usually only last to about 20 pounds.

Then you'll need to switch to a convertible seat that you leave strapped into the car and just remove baby when getting in & out. Convertibles keep baby rear facing until 35-40 pounds depending on the seat. After that you can turn it forward facing and keep child harnessed until they reach the weight or height limit of the seat. This could be anywhere from 50-80 pounds depending on what seat you buy.

It extremely important that you read the manual and learn to use the seat correctly. The best seat in the world only works as well as it's used. Most parents actually aren't using them right between improper installs, loose straps, and chest clips at belly level...to name a few!

tansyflower
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Quoting MaryJarrett:

If you want a convertible from birth, you'll be limited in your choices, most do not fit newborns well. I would go with the Graco Headwise if you want to go straight to convertible.

As for infant carriers, you don't have to carry them if you don't want to. You can just wear baby of you wanted too. :)

Here's a spreadsheet which lists the measurements of infant carrier/bucket car seats:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AvfUm4x64h3AdHpYd2k4RlQ1TnhUSGx4VEZaY09KUXc&hl=en

I switch my kiddos (which are born on the smaller side of average at 6-7lbs) to a convertible asap. This time around we are either getting the Comfy Carry Elite Plus infant seat or the Graco Headwise from birth. I almost NEVER carried my infant carrier.

lol i carried my first around in his bucket all the time because i was STUPID and apparently wanted horrible shoulder pain lol!  learned my lesson and baby number two went in a ring sling and that heavy seat stayed in the car :)

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM
I personally hate buckets and skip them. The closest I got was when a bout a used one that was so old it was a three pt harness, I just wanted it out of the store. I used it to carry babe a couple times and it was horrible and akward, I much prefer just wearing the baby. But that's just me.
There are only a few convertibles that fit nicely from birth, but you only need one! I have the myride and it's great for a NB- very snuggly and it RFs to 40 lbs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:04 PM

If you plan to babywear and rarely CARRY the seat then get a convertible, its what I preer NOW.  With my older 3 kids I had an infant seat but they outgrew it fast because of how tall they are not their weight.

rsruparelia
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Thanks everyone. This helps me a lot. I'll also visit the store and take a look at the seat but this surely helps me to weigh it from all different aspects.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)