Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Dairy Free Cooking

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM
  • 7 Replies

Ok, so my DH and DS are both lactose intolerant.  Dh has severe reactions within minutes of eating anything with lactose. DS gets very acidic diarea that literally burns his skin.  For a long time we have cut dairy out of DS's diet but DH and I are ready to take the step to completly cut it out of our entire household. 

So does anyone know good places that have recipes that are healthy that are diary-free? We are not vegan or vegitarian. Most of the recipies I am finding for casseroles are still heavy on highly processed items (some even have fake cheese alternatives).

And why the heck does EVERYTHING seem to have dairy. >_<

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Check out Sarah Kramer, her cook books are awesome. They are vegan, but she offers great info on dairy subs, and you can always add meat or whatever. The same is true for The Joy Of Vegan Cooking.

Really you can just take any recipe and sub non dairy milk and earth balance for the milk and butter. But these books will talk about which milks are best for which recipe.

GL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OakesMama
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I use my regular recipies I just substitute milk for rice milk and butter for either avacado or coconut oil. 

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM

When I want to avoid certain ingredients, I'll do an advanced search on allrecipes.com  (It's a recipe site, and you can search for something like "peanut butter cookies" without "butter").

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Look into paleo recipes. We don't use dairy. I use coconut milk as a replacement. I use the light coconut milk in the cans. 

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Paleo recipes. There are of paleo recipe blogs out there.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Have you ever tried organic dairy products? My son is severely allergic to regular dairy but not organic so he's really reacting to something gross they give the cows like antibiotics or hormones.

That being said we still don't eat dairy. I just use recipes that either don't call for it (think meat, veggies, & veggies meals) or use substitutes. Coconut, hemp, almond, flax milk are all good substitutes. Coconut yogurt is yummy. I do lots of stuff like stews. Paleo recipes are great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)