Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Help me plant a garden!

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM
  • 10 Replies

I've never had a garden before... I don't even know where to start! I just want to grow a few things this year to make sure I don't kill everything. What are the easiest things I can grow??

And any other little tidbits of advice would be much appreciated. :-)

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Tomatoes in a topsy turvy was easy..same with sweet peppers

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I'm going to try strawberries this year but have to still do research.  I'm excited that they come back every year, so yummy.

mjrex87
by Mindy on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I love strawberries but I'm a little scared to plant any because my dad always had trouble with them but nothing else, lol.

Quoting Sarah725:

I'm going to try strawberries this year but have to still do research.  I'm excited that they come back every year, so yummy.

nikzup03
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:58 AM
2 moms liked this

don't be afraid to plant or try anything, what's the worst that will happen? it will die, and you'll be left off like you never planted it in the first place, so nothing is lost :) you will learn more and more every year. tomatoes are easy. so are herbs. sunflowers are nice. if you're using seedlings from a store, just buy what you want to try. i think they're are generally 1.50 for a 3 pack, (herbs usually cost more for some reason) 

get some bags of composted manure dig into the soil, you're supposed to wait i think 2 weeks to let it do it's thing, then plant. check your frost dates! or else you may end up needing to cover your plants. just remember it's a learning exp, no one had a master garden their first year! 

CafeMom Tickers
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM

bump

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

just google if certain things need shade or sun light, little or a lot of water.  you will do great.

peaches_04
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM
I did the plant everything possible and see which ones i dont kill and plant those next year method:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mjrex87
by Mindy on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I like that idea!

Quoting peaches_04:

I did the plant everything possible and see which ones i dont kill and plant those next year method:)

bbmkfo03
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM

When buying seeds is it better to get a certain brand or organic seeds? I've been reading a lot about GMO free seeds, organic, etc. I have no clue which is better!

nikzup03
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Heirloom are great because you can save the seeds and plant them next year. Hybrids are fine nothing wrong with them, just if you save the seeds they will revert back to one of the patents plants, so you may end up with a different variety. You can buy GMO seeds, you would need contracts and legal garbage to actually be allowed to sow them. BUT, Monsanto does own many many seed companies, so even though you didn't buy GMO seeds, you would still be financing them.

I don't have a list of the companies they own, some good heirloom seed companies are bakery's creek and seed savers.... There are more, I just can't think right now :)

Quoting bbmkfo03:

When buying seeds is it better to get a certain brand or organic seeds? I've been reading a lot about GMO free seeds, organic, etc. I have no clue which is better!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)