Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

38 week Growth Scan

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM
  • 20 Replies
I am 35.5 weeks pregnant and had my 36 week ultrasound today. My little guy measured "small" at 5 lbs even- at the 20th percentile. His head and legs are measuring close to 34-35 weeks but abdomen is measuring closer to 32-33 weeks. Both DS and DD were 6.5 lbs (he was 6.8 and she was 6.11) and about 22 inches long at 40 weeks- so I definitely don't have a history of 'big' babies, lol. Fluid levels were fine, cord blood flow fine, normal pregnancy.

I know how notoriously inaccurate ultrasound weight estimates can be. My midwife wants to have me come back for another growth check at 38 weeks-

would you have it done? Or would you opt out? (: (I'm not nervous about him growing well- my babies have both been long and skinny at full term. I just love to hear what other people would do! )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Have there been any other indications throughout your pregnancy that he isn't growing well? (such as fundal height consistently decreasing) If not I'd decline.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never even heard of such a thing, definitely never had it done and wouldn't place much faith in it if for some reason I did do one.
5 pounds at 35 weeks doesn't sound small at all. Baby should put on a couple of pounds in the next month making him a perfectly average 7 pounds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Personally, now after the research suggesting that ultrasounds/Doppler use isn't proven safe, I would decline as much of that as possible.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katherinemcp
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Fundal height has been right on until two weeks ago- which would still be normal because baby's relatively low and head down. I'm 35.5 weeks and measured just at 34 cm today, my last appt two weeks ago I measured 32. So just fine. (:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Have there been any other indications throughout your pregnancy that he isn't growing well? (such as fundal height consistently decreasing) If not I'd decline.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't do it for a number of reasons. And really, I'd question your mw because baby sounds right on par to me. Assuming there are no other reasons for concern of course.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katherinemcp
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Exactly! I was surprised she even asked to do another scan- if he's measuring 5 lbs and gains .5 a week- he's dead-on to be a 7 pounder. Sounds just right to me!

Quoting larissalarie:

I've never even heard of such a thing, definitely never had it done and wouldn't place much faith in it if for some reason I did do one.

5 pounds at 35 weeks doesn't sound small at all. Baby should put on a couple of pounds in the next month making him a perfectly average 7 pounds.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katherinemcp
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM
My pregnancies have all been textbook 'perfect'. The biggest deal I have is I am allergic to a couple antibiotics.

I had felt fairly good about these midwives until now- my last baby was born with a mw in a freestanding birth center and they were wonderful. They would be rolling their eyes over this- but sadly our insurance has changed and this practice is where I need to go ):

Quoting jellyphish:

I wouldn't do it for a number of reasons. And really, I'd question your mw because baby sounds right on par to me. Assuming there are no other reasons for concern of course.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this
You seem pretty comfortable and confident, I see no reason not to just opt out. Doing so can prevent her from finding reasons to induce, or whatever, if you think she may go down that road. Hopefully she won't give you a hard time about it.
Quoting katherinemcp:

My pregnancies have all been textbook 'perfect'. The biggest deal I have is I am allergic to a couple antibiotics.

I had felt fairly good about these midwives until now- my last baby was born with a mw in a freestanding birth center and they were wonderful. They would be rolling their eyes over this- but sadly our insurance has changed and this practice is where I need to go ):

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM
I wouldn't have had that scan so I would definitely opt out of another one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Am I the only one who never had a growth ultrasound because you can't see the weight of the baby by an ultrasound????

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)